15: London

"FREYA, ARE YOU AWAKE NOW?"

"Mm?" I groaned and rolled over in an attempt to block out the voice speaking to me.

There was a soft chuckle. "Now, now. I thought you would have missed me."

My tired mind finally registered that familiar voice. My eyes snapped open in surprise, the shock fully awakening me. "Dio?!" I gasped, squinting at the familiar figure backlit by the morning light of my room. "Is that really you?"

"Of course. Who else would it be?" I could hear the smirk in Dio's voice as he spoke, but I couldn't see it. His face was shrouded in shadows. But there was no mistaking the silohuette's identity.

I smiled at Dio. "I'm glad you came back. I missed you," I said.

The shadows that cloaked Dio's figure parted like a curtain. The darkness shifted and reversed, turning my surroundings into emptiness so that I could only see Dio. He was like a beacon in the darkness, the only source of color in a sea of nothingness. Even so, his face was still shadowed. I knew it was him by the crown of golden hair, alluring gold eyes, and the soft smile that I loved.

"I missed you as well," Dio said. "But I told you I would return. I'm glad that you waited for me."

"I'm glad you came back," I said. "I was worried that something had happened to you."

Dio smiled. "Do not worry," he said. "I'm fine. In fact, I feel better than I have since I was a child. Do you know why?"

I blinked in confusion. "Is it because we're reunited again?" I asked, feeling embarrassed to voice such an assumption.

Dio chuckled. "Yes, that's part of it." He answered.

"What's the other part?"

Dio clicked his tongue. "Now, don't tell me you forgot already."

I suddenly realized how deathly pale Dio's complexion was. I could have sworn his eyes were gold, but instead my gaze was locked with a set of piercing red eyes. I was surprised I hadn't realized earlier, since they stood out so much compared to his pallor. Although I knew it was Dio in front of me, something didn't feel right.

Dio smiled, his lips pulled back to reveal his teeth. As his mouth opened, I noticed the set of sharp fangs in Dio's mouth. "What is it?" He asked innocently. "Are you not happy that I can join you for the rest of eternity?"

"N-no! That's not it!" I denied quickly. "I was just surprised. So much has happened recently. I guess I forgot . . ." I lowered my head in apology. How could I have forgotten something so vital? Dio was a vampire. He was not the same Dio I knew before.

Dio's hand reached out to cup my jaw and lift my head. "Do not apologize. I understand how sudden this change was for you. Although my appearance has changed, I assure you that I am still the same."

"Right," I smiled, feeling relieved. "You're still the same Dio I knew."

Dio hummed, his palm trailing my jaw on a path towards my ear. Then, his hand lowered to cup the side of my neck.

"I haven't changed, but maybe I'm not the same Dio you knew," he said. "Didn't I hide everything from you for years?" He asked. "You never realized who I truly was inside until just a few days ago, right? How can you say that I'm the same Dio you used to know?"

"What are you saying?" I frowned. "I know you."

Even in the darkness, Dio's eyes glinted. Red irises shone like rubies under sunlight as his smirk widened. "Are you sure?" He asked.