McTubsy Comes Crashing, New Team Members and a.. Fashion.. Statement?!

Upon leaving Parfum Palace, I noticed the tall grass along Route 6, but didn't realise that Pokémon in the bushes could ambush you!. Gumbo was out front and managed to help us capture a female Venipede (I'm seeing a bug theme for this team..) and Cecelia joined the team. 

We headed back to Route 7 to wake up the sleepy Snorlax, which we then ended up battling. Except I didn't quite prepare for how tanky Snorlax was going to be.. Fenrir came out instead of Gumbo to chunk down its health (or at least.. try to.. because it kept using Amnesia and Defense Curl.. which made it even tankier). I resorted to trying to chip it into yellow hp and then using Gumbo to put it to sleep. Although I accidentally ended up poisoning.. Snorlax.. which.. yeah. I mean at least I could chip away at its health better, but it wasn't the safety net I was aiming for with putting Snorlax to sleep before I captured it. However, Snorlax was captured and that made us 6 for 6 team members (finally a full team!), and McTubsy (Don't judge my names.. I thought it sounded derpy but cute) joined the team. 

After that, the team was all sitting averagely at about level 17, but I wanted everyone to be on par with Fenrir before we made it to the next gym. So Fenrir took a comfy seat in the PC whilst the rest of the team went through level grinding to get to an average of level 20, before Fenrir rejoined for the rest of the grinding. (Basically I have to consider xp share and don't want Fenrir to be miles ahead of everyone else)

I ran back out onto Route 7 only to get directed to the Pokémon Day Care Center just to show me around, but I headed straight back out and then it was onto level grinding. During which time we encountered a horde of hoppip.. which all ended up being uhm.. tackle squished by McTubsy because none of them had any actual attack moves other than splash. 

It was onto our second double battle trainer encounter, and between the combined efforts of Bugsy's stun spores, Blu's bubbles and McTubsy just being a general absolute unit, we pulled through. Further along the route came the battle chateau, but I knew we weren't quite ready and so continued down route 7 to face more trainers and wild Pokémon. With the weakest level currently sitting at a level 16 across Bugsy, McTubsy and Cecelia, we were doing decently. 

Until Calem chose that EXACT moment to show up at the end of the route and say okay now we're battling, but we're teaming up against Tierno and Trevor. And I conveniently remembered I had left Fenrir sat in the PC box back in Camphrier town.. A quick detour to pick up Fenrir, and it was on to the double battle. 

Tierno and Trevor led with Pikachu and that annoying.. Corphish.. that I hated in the last battle. Calem threw out his Fletchling, and of course I went I'm going to be a tank. So.. McTubsy. Which did do some damage to Pikachu before getting paralysed.. go figure. Anyway, Fletchling fainted so Calem brought out his Frogadier. (Not really sure.. on his type matchups here.. but okay). Knowing that we had another Pokémon to go through after Pikachu, I healed McTubsy of his paralysis and got ready for the next match. Frogadier fainted.. which was unfortunate and also slightly hilarious because Calem declared he was unbeatable.. Blu reached level 20, McTubsy finished off the Corphish and we were smooth sailing. 

Route 8 and it was time again to find another potential team member. But not until we battled whichever trainer because I accidentally crossed their path on my way along the route. During which time Fenrir almost fell prey to a dual chopping Axew.. but thankfully we scraped by and were able to move forward to more level grinding and hopefully a new team member. 

This time we encountered a female Drifloon.. that kept shrinking but had still caught Cecelia's poison sting. However, when Drifloon almost took out Cecelia with a gust attack, Gumbo jumped in ready and DeLa joined the team. (Yes, that is a Drag Race reference to BenDeLaCreme.. for all you Drag Race / general Drag Queen fans). 

It was then off down the route, through trainers and wild Pokémon again, the usual. Although McTubsy nearly was killed by an Arm Thrust from Pancham, Cecelia was nearly killed by a Spoink, and Fenrir had a close shave with a Machop. But we made it safely to Ambrette Town and that's all that matters. 

Calem and I headed to the Fossils Lab, and were then directed to Glittering Cave to ask the assistant about Mega Evolution. (It's been in the back of my mind for a while - bear in mind I haven't played Y for years - the main storyline is all revolving around Mega Evolution as that was newly introduced into this generation.. The story on why I haven't played Y in years? Well I did play it when the Torchic event was on, I trained that Torchic up to a Level 100 Blaziken - my first ever Level 100 Pokémon I'd trained up by myself.. and the game file corrupted and I haven't touched it since.) 

Off to Route 9 to look for the glittering cave, and whilst riding on Rhyhorn I encountered a Sandile. We all know what's happening now. Chomps, welcome to the team, now get in the box. 

In the Glittering Cave, our encounter was a Rhyhorn. (And a Rhyhorn using tail whip is the cutest thing, they have the smallest tails so you have to appreciate they're trying). Blu came out to use bubble but sadly we killed Rhyhorn instead of catching it for the team.. (it's never going to always be a successful capture for the first Pokémon on every route / area so it's cool)

The cave itself though is rather unnerving as it's very dark and ominous. And the music doesn't help that atmosphere particularly. Or help when you run into a wild Lunatone. (Now I really do feel like I'm walking around in the middle of the night). 

After heading through the cave, I run into a dude dressed in more orange than a.. okay I don't have a good pun here. But they claim to be the most fashionable team in all of Kalos.. I wouldn't call that a fashion statement, I'd call the fashion police but whatever. And then they ask don't you know not to play with fire? -takes a minute to look at Fenrir- 

Oh.. oops. Okay so I guess saying no annoyed him, and it's a Houndour. Blu is still snoozing so my water type is down for the moment, but I know if I need him I can pull him in. (For context, Lunatone spammed hypnosis and Blu just ended up napping). But, McTubsy is what I like to refer to as my big tanky teddy bear. And he hits hard. Until Zubat uses supersonic, but even that isn't enough to stop chip away and McTubsy squishes the Team Flare grunt. 

Until I then realise that there's more of them in the cave. But we've got a McTubsy. And Calem runs up to join me for a double battle (here's hoping it goes better than our last one..). McTubsy ended up tanking a hit from Scraggy which left him in the red, but thankfully Fenrir stepped out and despite also being left in the red, we were able to pull through. 

----------------

I'm going to wrap up this update here as I know it's midway through Glittering Cave, but it's very late for me and also this update is looooong.. I played a lot of my Nuzlocke today though so I'm happy. 

This update - comment below who your favourite Pokémon on the team is! Are you Team Fenrir? Or just feeling Blu? Or even rooting for our baby Bugsy? Let me know, I'd love to hear who your favourite is! 

- Dianna xxxxx