Blue Paint

"You must keep going." my mother says, her calming voice soothing my worried head.

"But Mama, it's not right." I say.

"Yes.. well if you'd want to keep the sun moving." my mother argues.

"Oh, Zyanya." my sister Izel says as she walks by.

"The paint is beautiful!" she says.

I look at the blue paint I have been making for the past hour.

"I think it is done." I say, standing up, putting the paint down and stretching, as I have not been able to get up for a while.

I hide behind Mama as the ceremonies begin. I cannot stand them. The first man comes up, trembling. Painted blue, he walks up to the stone block and lies down. I cover my ears and close my eyes.

Mama taps me. "It's over." she says.

I thought she meant all together, becuase I look up and see a baby.

 "Oh God." I whisper to myself.

Yet again, I cover my ears and close my eyes. I try to watch as little as possible for the following hours, watching the many bodies fall on the side of the temple.

I walk back home. Mama and Izel stay to help clean up. Us Aztecs are somewhat cruel in a way, killing many people daily just to keep the sun running. I don't believe it, as it is kind of dumb. I heard one time, white men came over long before I was born. They never sacrificed anyone.. and the sun kept spinning! I hope that's true. I have to make paint and go to the ceremonies, or sacrifications too often.

It is night time. I see the sun go down. A woman runs by my house and screams. Izel sighs.

"Another one of the crazy ones.." she mumbles.

"Izel!" Mama says.

 "Don't you dare say that, she could be a nice woman. Oh, and next week we are going to the  sacrifications next week." Mama adds. I groan.

"But Mama!" I cry out. "You know I have hated them ever since Father died. You know that."

Izel almost starts crying.

"Now, now, girls. He died for a good cause." Mama explained.

"Mama! Ugh! I'm done." Izel walked out.

Mama shook her head. "Zyanya, take this as an opportunity to forgive your sister."

Mama said. I chased after Izel. Even though she was older, she wasn't as mature as I was. Because of how our family has worked its way up, we were all supposed to be as smart and kind or whatever as Mama, but as Izel wasn't... she would be soon to be sacrificed.