I

Steven woke up.

He took a shower, changed, and washed his face.
Brushing his teeth, he watched himself in the mirror. He was so happy for himself, he was finally...
Mr. Universe. Steven Universe.
He wasn't "Rose" or "Pink". He wasn't "my Diamond" or anything gem. He had a name, he would be remembered in the long run.

That was all he wanted, ever.
All this suffer, it ended. But... he felt the same. He felt like... nothing was over. Like.... boring. All that... fighting? Was for this, wasn't it? Then why didn't he feel like he'd accomplished something?

He sighed. Connie took him to see a good musical so he'd feel better. It only did because he could relate. So much it scared him. Grabbing his guitar, he played and sang

What do you do, when the quest has ended?
What do you do, when the battle's won?
So many questions, left unanswered.
So many things, still left undone

What do you do
When it's up to you to choose:
Has something ended or begun?
Stay or go? Pick one

Do I stay because it's safer?
Back to the home I left behind?
I could stay and train for a piece of the action
But what about peace of mind?

Ugh! What's my deal?
Why do I feel
There's something left I still
Need to find?

Where do you go when it's over?

What do you do when you've come to
The last day of summer?

Steven sighed. He hated this feeling, but felt pressured to love it. He felt lost. He'd taken fighting for granted. He actually....
Liked it?

Amethyst tumbled out of her room. She decided she wanted a slide to leave her room, and she still hadn't aced the landing. "'Sup." She said, getting up as Steven made waffles and chips. He likes Lays ever since he'd grown out of CHAAAAAPS with who knows how many A's. He'd forgotten over time.

"Yo, will ya make me some waffles an' chips, I'll be right back!" She called, swinging from the doorway and sliding down the ramp's rails.

He made another batch. He thought Garnet might like a waffle, and ever since he introduced Pearl to gum, she'd been obsessed because she "enjoy the exercise of chewing, but extremely hate the travel." After eating, he left for food shopping. He got lunch for later, tonight's dinner, and a cake for.... tomorrow...
Holy sh—

It was August 14th. His birthday is tomorrow!

He excitedly bought the cake. He needed something to look up to.

"Lars!"
"Hmm?"
"You think you could write my name on this cake?"
"Yeah, sure. Why?" Lars yawned.
"Tomorrow's my birthday."

"Happy early birthday!" Lars took the cake and went around to the back of the Big Donut.

Steven sat on a rock facing the sea. He hummed "Happily Ever After", and realized he was easy to please. He had been lost...
A minute ago. Then he remembered his birthday and suddenly hyped up.

As Steven became lost in thought again, he heard, "Steven!"

He got the cake from Lars, and put it in the shopping bag with the other food. "Thanks Lars!"

"Anytime."

Steven headed home in time to put everything in the correct places in the fridge and get Amethsyt's and Garnet's waffles and chips set up.

Pearl walked out of her room, chewing the gum. "Hello, Steven." She said
"Hey Pearl."
"Steven, this is the last gum in the pack—"

He tossed her three more packs, in which she put next to the door before it closed. "Thank you Steven."

"Welcome."
Garnet came out, and grabbed the waffle as she passed, and left. Amethyst came back and ate hers. "I got a cake," I said.

"We'll be sure to set it up," Pearl said.

"Imma go meet Connie at... somewhere."

"Good luck! Oh, and thanks!" Amethyst called.