III

A blue-and-red blotched fusion. She was holding Spinel. Someone found Spinel! It was over! Steven went to call the Diamonds when— the fusion slapped him out of the dome.

It was.... Aquamarine and Eyeball. They captured Spinel, while fused. "Let her go!" He shot a shield at the fusion. She laughed, catching it. "Last time I checked, you never underestimate Bluebird Azurite."

"Um... the Diamonds are looking for her," Steven said, prying Spinel free from Bluebird's grasp. But Bluebird just tightened her grip. Steven looked into her eye. She looked like her plan was working. She knew the Diamonds would call him now. She planned to meet him here.

After purposely wrecking up all sources of communication to outside of Earth, Bluebird Azurite managed to leave. Steven ran after her. Bluebird somehow knew he couldn't breathe underwater, so went there. He followed the Azurite, with a bubble only around his head, so it didn't weigh him down.

Bluebird swam to Mask Island. Steven followed. Bluebird kicked down a tree and pushed it on to the warp. The warp pad broke. Bluebird turned her head and grinned. She was still holding Spinel. "We hate the Diamonds now. I didn't know they were that much of a fool to side with you!"

"I don't know what your problem with me is." Steven said.

Bluebird chuckled. "Oh, it's only been two years. That seems like a minute when you've been alive for millennia."

"What are you trying to say?"

"What I'm saying is, you're too... easily changing."

I realized Spinel wasn't there.
"Welcome to the real world. You can't talk me out of hating you. Now you convinced my—the Diamonds to betray you? Thank you, Ro—"

"Steven." He growled. "I THOUGHT I CONFIRMED THIS!"

"Oh, but when a liar confirms something, ought it to be a lie, Pink?"

Steven growled. He hated it. The unbearable pressure of horrid mom. He hated this. Wasn't this over? Why?

"I am Steven Universe, and you cannot put any of anyone else's problems on me!!"

Bluebird smiled. She kicked him in the face. "That's from Spinel. She's in constant pressure from my— uh, the Diamonds to be Pink. She was forced to stretch herself out and put in Pink's clothes. So we sav—"

"So you took her away unwillingly. That's the same, my Diamond."

Bluebird growled. Then her frown.... turned into... a smile. Steven flew away. "Spinel?"

Bluebird laughed. "And she'll respond? Suuuree. Keep dreaming."

Bluebird sprouted wings. She flew up and followed Steven. Pretending not to notice she was sneaking up on him, he slashed a shield at her at the same time as he made a bubble around them, so he wouldn't lose her gems on Mask Island. She split up, and they retreated to their gems. Sighing, Steven picked up the gems and bubbled them.

He flew up to the top of the bubble and tapped it, sending him up to the sky. Next thing he knew, he was in the temple. He dropped his bubble, leaving Eyeball and Aqua in the temple.

He hated this. He hated this feeling so much.

He went to the bathroom, rubbed his eyes, and left the house to see Connie, waiting for him on the Sitting Rock.

He waved and head over.