Chapter 4

That was a bold move, Sheath said as they flew. But was it a foolish one as well?

"I want them to be wary of hurting those soldiers," Dain responded. "They'll also be following us too much to worry about a couple of guards."

My point exactly. Our fathers weren't much loved among the races of Alagaësia and that may cause us problems. Where are we to go if we're being hunted?

"I was rather thinking we find a nice, quiet place...and wait for them to find us," Dain said with a smile. He sent a few mental images to Sheath and felt the sly amusement emanate from the dragon.

They were heading towards the Hadarac Desert but Sheath angled towards the forests of Du Weldenvarden just as the sun finally set beneath the horizon. As they flew, Dain looked down at land beneath them. Scattered throughout Alagaësia were small village and towns that were too small to register on a map.

Using a little of Sheath's energy, Dain caused a large fire in one of the fires to change colour until it was part dark blue and part black. He made the fire swirl into the air as everyone came to see what was happening. The fire jumped and became a miniature version of Sheath that flew over the town before exploding in a shower of sparks above the town.

Everyone in the village started cheering, especially the older ones who knew Dain's special message. By using the forces of nature, Dain used to deliver special messages to his subjects under the nose of his father.

An image of Sheath was Dain's way of telling everyone that he was nearby and that he and Sheath would protect them.

No matter what.