p r o l o g u e

“Handong!”

Yoohyeon screamed Handong’s name at the top of her lungs but the latter just kept on running, further away from Yoohyeon.

“Please, stop!” She screamed once more, her voice muffled by the pouring rain.

Yoohyeon was athletic. Running through the forest, with roots of trees bulging out, fallen trees everywhere, was not a challenge to her. But so was the woman she was chasing.

Yoohyeon tried to accelerate her speed, closing the gap between her and Handong. Her arm raised forward, she tried reaching Handong’s right arm.

Yoohyeon finally caught the other’s arm, their pace turning to a halt. The Chinese looked at Yoohyeon with eyes full of hatred. “Let go of me!”

Yoohyeon tightened her grip on Handong’s arm, as if to answer ‘no’. “Please, just listen to me!”

“What? To torment me further?!” Handong shouted, using her other hand to get Yoohyeon’s hand off of her arm.

Yoohyeon shook her head, placing her other hand to hold Handong’s. “I can help you. Please, just let me.”

“No.” Handong replied. “This can’t be fixed anymore. I can’t be fixed anymore.”

“There’s no need for fixing, Handong. There’s nothing wrong with you. Let’s go back, please?”

Handong showed a small, sarcastic smile. “I can’t do this anymore.”

With one strong pull, she got out of Yoohyeon’s grasp and started running away from her again.

“Handong, no!”

She screamed as she watched a big truck that was about to hit Handong.