Where are you?

"So, what happened yesterday?" Lily asked, nudging my arm and pumping her brows.

"What're you talking about?" I drawled.

"Oh please, I didn't have anything on. I let you have that afternoon. Just you and Fable. Don't tell me you wasted it."

Remembering the day before made me blush. I tried to fight it, but my nervous shuffling gave the game away.

Lily grinned. "Ah, something did happen... What was it? What did you do? Tell me."

"Nothing," I lied, "Nothing happened."

She saw right through me. "You're lying."

"No, I'm not!"

"Alright everyone, take your seats," called Mr. Ludicolo as he walked into the classroom.

Lily looked me straight in the eye. "To be continued," she whispered.

I sighed and stretched my arm across our desks. She hurried across the makeshift bridge to her seat. Mr. Ludicolo took attendance and I realised that Fable isn't here, which is weird; he's never been late before.

I brushed the thought aside; it's not that unusual to miss a day of school every now and then. Besides, he might just be late, and even if he doesn't show up it might be nice to have a day just Lily and me. That is, if I can survive all her questions.

I sat and listened to Mr. Ludicolo teaching. The day went slowly, and it was boring. I changed my mind pretty quick. Fable, please be back tomorrow.

******

"Alright everyone, take your seats," said Mr. Ludicolo.

I groaned. My head was resting on my desk. Same thing, every single day. Fable's still not back and I'm getting sick of this repetition. It's been a week now, where is he? That single thought echoed through my brain and drowned out Ludicolo's teachings.

After class I was in the hall, at my locker. Lily was sitting on my shoulder. "Any idea where Fable is?" I asked her.

"No clue. Try not to worry though, this happens every now and then."

"What do you mean?"

"He's here one day and gone the next. After a while he always comes back."

"Well, where is he?"

"I told you, I don't know," she replied, stumped.

"I wish he'd come back already," I grumbled.

"Oh, missing your fella?"

"He's not my fella! But... yeah, a little bit."

Lily giggled. I rolled my eyes and walked down the hallway. We went to the courtyard and sat down to eat our lunch. Then, same old, same old. Went to class, learned things. Finished class, went to my locker. Got my stuff, said goodbye to Lily and started to leave, but then something different happened.

"Rose," called a voice from behind me.

I turned to see a tall red Pokémon walking towards me.

"Hello Principal Delphox," I replied. "Is something wrong?"

Delphox chuckled. "Why is it that when anyone sees me, they assume something's wrong?"

"Well, is something wrong?"

"Not at all. I simply overheard you talking in the hall earlier. I don't mean to pry but Fable's mother is a close personal friend. I spoke to her and she'd like to meet you. She said feel free to go over whenever. They live on the outskirts of town, past the markets."