Changes

"Hey mom, I'm back!" I said, closing the door to the hotel room. "Hi honey." My mom smiled at me. I took off my coat and hung it up in the closet. "How was work today?" I asked her. "It was fine. Your usual boring receptionist job, no big deal." She chuckled. "How was school? Did you make any new friends?" She asked, interested. I nodded. "Yeah, I made one new friend." Sure, Young-Do and I had this weird deal we orchestrated, but I considered him a friend. He was nice to me (sometimes) and we did hang out all day today. That meets friend criteria. 

"Ooh! Who are they?" My mom asked, folding clothes she had brought up from the laundromat. "His name is Choi Young-Do, he's in my grade level, and he's been pretty nice to me." Okay, she doesn't have to know about the 'poor people' cracks. I knew he was joking. Maybe. "Oh, I'm so glad! I was a little worried, what with us not being in their same status level. But I'm so glad you made a friend!" She was overjoyed for me. I smiled. I always loved how happy my mom was for my achievements, even when they were little ones like making a friend. I appreciated it all the time. 

"Thanks. He actually walked me to the hotel." "He did? What a gentleman. Why?" I had to think of a reason non-bodyguard deal related. "Uh, he wanted to make sure I got home safe." That was true. "Ooh, this one's a keeper, Seo-yun." I felt my cheeks heat up like in those cliche K-Dramas. "Yeah, he's a good friend." I didn't further entertain this thought, so I changed the subject. "He offered to pick me up tomorrow and walk me to school. Is that alright?" "Yeah, that's fine! He seems like a nice kid. I'd like to meet him one of these days." My mom put some clothes in the closet. I sat down on the couch facing the television. "Maybe there will be a 'bring-your-parent-to-school day or an open house or something. I don't know how these fancy schools work." I laughed. 

My mom sighed and walked over to me. She sat on the armrest of the couch and put her arm around me, hugging me close to her. "I know this move hasn't been easy on you after all the drama with your father. I'm so glad you're such a strong girl, Seo-yun." She smiled and kissed me on the forehead. I smiled and leaned my head closer to her. "It's not so bad. Gives me a chance to explore a new area. I know this hasn't been easy on you either." My mom got a look on her eye that told me I guessed correctly. "Well, things will be better once we find an affordable house and we can fit in somewhere better than we are here. I have a meeting with our realtor tomorrow after work, so I'll be home a couple hours late." She told me, standing up. "That's fine. I'll grab dinner at a convenience store or something."

My mom sat down on the bed, looking at a picture on her nightstand. It was of me and her, with somebody visibly cut out of the photo. I knew who it was. "I just didn't expect this." She sighed, rubbing her temples. I got up and sat down next to her. "Me neither." I looked at her. "How could dad just leave us?" I said. My mom put her arm around me again. "I don't know." She smiled. "At least we have each other. And I'll always be here for you." I smiled. "Thanks mom. I'll always be here for you too." We both hugged each other, a way for us to relieve the pain. 

It was such a shock when dad left, but I guess it wasn't unfounded. They had been fighting for a while and my dad was getting more and more progressively violent. He never laid a hand on her, but there was always something broken in our house whenever he got home. It's probably best for us that he left. But financially, we were struggling. As long as we worked hard, we would make it. That's what my mom always said. "I hope the meeting with the realtor goes well." I told her. "I have a feeling. She's never been this excited to talk to me! Maybe we'll finally find our home." She smiled. I smiled back. "I really hope so!" 

My mom stood up from the bed and started getting her coat. "I'm starving, and I think today we should go out to celebrate!" I tilted my head. "Celebrate what?" "You making your first new friend! That's a cause worthy of celebration." I chuckled, but didn't stop her. I got our coat and followed her out the door.

Thanks, Young-Do.