Chapter 1 - Saturday

The sweet sound of silence.

It's 4 am, and I'm the first one to turn the key in the lock at the small coffee shop that I work at, named Daniel's Coffee, after the owner.

It's dark, and I flick on the lights to make my way to the kitchen. I work as the baker, preparing all the muffins, bagels, cakes and pastries for the day ahead. It's a sweet gig really, I get off at 12pm, and I get to work by myself for the most part until we open at 8am.

I pull my long dark brown hair up into a ponytail and twist it into a tight bun. Although the dark building should be eerie, I've worked here for a year now, and the shadows that should seem scary are just part of the daily routine.

Light illuminates the kitchen as I flick on another switch. Ugh, bright. This is my least favorite part of the morning.

Once my eyes adjust, I set to work pulling pastries out of the freezer and getting ready to defrost them. For some reason, we don't make those from scratch any more.

Muffins however, we do, and I am required to make 108 of them a day. Luckily, we have extras usually and I get to eat as many as I want, no one's here to stop me.

After defrosting the few dozens of croissants I am supposed to, I set to work on the muffins. We just got a new shipment of muffin mix in last night.

An hour later and the delicious scent of blueberry muffins is filling the kitchen. Ah, it's so amazing!

I decide that I can't resist one of my muffins, taking one out of the pan without a second thought, I leave it to cool on the side of the counter as I shove another dozen into the oven.

Daniel comes in around 7:30am, a bit before we open. Luckily my friend Cassie, our barista, is scheduled today. If she isn't, then I have to do that job and actually deal with customers. Ew.

Cassie is so friendly and it seems as if no matter how rude the customers are that day, she never gets her feathers ruffled. Me on the other hand, if one of them looks at me the wrong way, or is any sort of rude, I'll tell them point blank to fuck off.

After a few times of that happening, Daniel stuck me in the back. Fortunately I like that much better, and, free muffins!

I bite down into my stolen one and almost moan it tastes so good. I am sprinkling some crystal sugar on top of the fresh batch as they cool when Daniel comes in. It's ten minutes til we open, what could he possibly want?

"What's up?" I quickly swallow the remains of my stolen muffin and shove another pan into the oven.

"Just was wondering if you'd like some help back here. We are expanding and more people are coming in every day, I figure you need an assistant." He sits down on a stool near me as I continue rushing around.

"What?" I've been doing this alone for a year, I think I've got it down.

"Harlow, we've been almost running out of pastries and stuff for the last few weeks. You're great,  but I think you need some help back here." Daniel is an old retired construction worker, he's one of the few people I actually trust and I know he's got a point. He's kind of like my second dad. He runs a hand through his gray-white hair. "I'm just giving you the option Harlow."

I take a step back and realize that maybe he's right. I am scrambling to hit all of my quotas and make sure we have enough baked goods for the day. Sometimes I stay late just to make sure everything is taken care of.

Although I hate admitting I need help more than anything in the world, Daniel is right. The coffee shop is taking off and I'm so glad his business is doing well. But it is starting to become too much for me to do on my own.

"Maybe you're right. I have been kind of stressed getting everything done." I turn away, taking more pastries out of the freezer while my muffins bake.

"I think having an assistant would be good. I also want to start doing our pastries from scratch again, the frozen ones just aren't quite as good." The older man grabs a chocolate chip muffin out of my muffin pan and takes a bite.

"I agree, I guess I would like someone to help. Do you have anyone in mind?"

"Not yet, I didn't want to start looking until I knew you were okay with it. I know how much you like to do things on your own."

I don't respond, just continuing to defrost pastries and think about what this would mean.

Daniel looks down at his watch, "I better open up, but I'll let you know how the search goes."

"Okay."

I turn around thinking it through. I love my mornings by myself and I don't want to give them up, but the help would definitely be nice. I shouldn't have to be stressed out at my job.

A few hours later, things are in full swing and the line is almost out the door. I am closing up for the day, all the pastries are made and I am ready to head out, leaving the shop to Daniel and Cassie for the next few hours.

Before I get all the way out the door, I see a very tall man in the front of the house talking to Daniel.

"Sir, I'm new in town and I really need a job, do you have anything you need done?"

"Actually I might. What's your name?"

"Duff Mckagan."

--------------------------------

OOH! I actually read duff's memoir over my winter break and it was dope. He was a baker for a while in LA and i  just wanted to make that into a fic ok. I know I've been gone for a little while from Wattpad but I am back and I really missed writing. Hopefully you guys enjoy this book.