Chapter 4 - Late

It was 4am, and when I parked my car, the lights were off.

Ah, peace and quiet for a bit. I was looking forward to being alone, still reeling from the show a few hours ago. 

I turned my key in the lock and headed into the kitchen.

I started my work on the muffins, leaving the frozen goods alone because I figured Duff would be  here in a bit to defrost them. 

As I mixed up the batter, my mind drifted to the show from last night. It was fantastic. I just couldn't stop thinking about how their music felt in my bones, in my soul. It was amazing. Every time I closed my eyes it brought me right back to how I felt in that crowd, watching the band.

I threw my first baking pan of muffins into the oven.

4:15, no Duff.

I pulled out my first batch of muffins and tossed another one in, leaving the first batch to cool on the counter. 

4:30, no Duff.

Maybe he wasn't coming in today? 

I assume he worked that out with Daniel yesterday after I left. I decided to start defrosting the pastries in case he wasn't coming so I wouldn't be behind. I did this by myself for a year, I think I can handle it.

I wiped sweat off my brow and went back and forth from the freezer and the oven.

Thirty minutes later, Duff came in. He was wearing black jeans and a black shirt, and looked like royally exhausted. 

He yawned and made his way over to the freezer, beginning to start his work.

"Nice of you to show up." I commented.

The tall blonde frowned, "sorry. I was out late last night."

I didn't really mind, because I got an hour to myself to wake up. I didn't respond and just went back to my work.

"You won't tell Daniel right?" There was concern in his hazel eyes. 

I hesitated, putting my cooled muffins on a cooling rack and sprinkling crystal sugar over them. If I told Daniel about him being late, he would probably just get a warning. Still, the poor guy looked like he really needed the job, and I kind of liked having him around, although I would never admit that to him.

"I won't snitch."

"Thanks." He nodded and resumed his work.

We stayed silent after that, just moving about the kitchen space, mutual respect for one another.

I was still curious though. Was he the one in the band I saw last night? I didn't want to ask though. We were just co-workers, and it wasn't really any of my business no matter how curious I was.

I found myself gazing over his direction near the end of my shift. The long blonde hair, he was so tall, the way he bit his lip when he was focused-

Harlow, what the ever-loving FUCK are you thinking? Back to work. You're not supposed to like him remember?

I tore my eyes away from Duff and focused on pulling my next batch of muffins out of the oven.

It was almost opening time when Daniel came in for his regular chocolate chip muffin.

"How's it going you guys?" He stayed close to the door.

"Good."  I flashed Daniel a smile and handed him his usual.

"Oh and next week, I want you two to start making those pastries from scratch. I'm ordering all of the supplies in bulk now and I'll teach you how soon."

"Yes sir." Duff nodded and gave Daniel a grin, then turned back to his frozen pastries.

"Okay." I agreed, giving him a quick smile and turning back to to my muffins.

Daniel wanted us to make croissants and the rest of the pastries from scratch? Oh my gosh. We were going to be here forever.

Two hours later, Daniel swung back by the kitchen, poking his head in. "Harlow, Cassie went home sick, would you mind working the front?"

"I suppose." I stepped away from what I was working on and took off my kitchen apron. Looking in the reflection of the oven, I wiped the muffin mix off my cheek and began putting my hair in a fresh ponytail. I guess I have to deal with customers today.

Before I could fully leave, Duff chuckled, a joking smirk on his face and a twinkle in his eye. "Are you sure you don't want me to do it? You know you actually have to be nice to work with customers, right?"

My eyes narrowed at his snide remark. "Shut the fuck up, Duff. What kind of a name is that anyway?"

"I could ask you the same question, Harlow". He said my name in a mocking tone before turning back around.

"I'm gonna fucking fight you."

"I would love to see you try, sweetheart."

I grit my teeth at the nickname. "Don't you dare call me that again."

I pushed away the thought of him and his deep raspy voice saying that in a different context. Focus Harlow!

I slammed the door behind me and pasted on a smile before starting to work the register and take the coffee orders of customers.

Thinking about the show I had seen last night calmed my nerves. I was already fantasizing about the weekend ahead when I could go to the Roxy and see them perform again. Maybe I'd have a chance with that hot rhythm guitarist.

I finished up my shift, grabbing my stuff from the kitchen and trying to avoid making eye contact with Duff on my way out.

Something about him just gets under my skin, and I can't tell if it's in a good way or a bad way.

I drove home, flying down the 405, grateful that my job let me beat Los Angeles traffic. I opened the door to my apartment, beelining for my bedroom. I snuggled into the soft sheets and took some much needed rest. 

---------------

sorry I keep disappearing, I was moving but I think I got a routine down now, so hoping to update weekly <3