Chapter One

"Jenna, where are you?", I yelled through my phone into her answering machine.

"Besides for the fact that you left me to set up all by myself, now my dad is beggining to question your whereabouts, missy! As am I! So get your ass over here now before I come drag you here myself!"

In moments like these, I wish I had a flip phone to add a more dramatic feel to the scene, but in my case I just clicked the red end button on my Iphone.

Well, thats Jenna for you. I'm assuming she went clubbing last night, which sort of makes it difficult for her to get up for work in the morning.

I love Jenna to death. She is one of my closest friends and I love working with her. She recently went through a bad breakup and has been partying it up often. I just wish I was old enough to go with her so she would'nt get too drunk and have something like this happen the next morning!

Must I always be the adult?

I am currently in the bathroom for our morning ritual, all alone. Our morning ritual consists of fixing our hair and makeup before our 9 hour shifts, when during that time I am even lucky if I get the chance to run to the bathroom to pee. Sorry for the visual, but it's true.

As I'm listening to "Love Me Harder", by Ariana Grande, and fixing my mascara, I hear the boss yelling for me.

"Hold on, I'll be right out!", I yell, hoping he will hear me over Grande's high vocals.

"Ooooo Oooo Oooo Oooo love me love me love me, Oooo Oooo Oooo Oooo harder harder har-"

"Anna NOW!", he yells again.

I cant help but roll my eyes as I pause the song, collect my makeup into my bag and leave the bathroom.

"What?", I say to him walking down the hallway to the front of the reasturant.

"Did'nt I ask you to call Jenna?"

"Yea, and I did, she is coming", I replied. Well that was'nt completely a lie, she was going to come eventually.

"Well, where is she? We are opening up in 20 minutes and I need her to do inventory for our beverages today. She can't keep doing this, I'm going to start cutting down her pay."

"Calm down, Dad. She will be here." Even if I have to go drag her here myself.

That's Barry for you. My crazy boss of a dad.

Can't live with him, well I don't since my parents are divorced, but I can probably live without him.

Joking.

Or am I? Mwuahaha.(insert evil minion face)

"We have a lot of work to do today", he starts to say, "we have a reservation for 10 people at 2pm, and another reservation of 6 adults plus 2 highchairs at..."

I just drown him out as usual. It's not like he won't repeat it another 7 times.

I check my phone to see that it's 10:45 and I have no miss calls from Jen. I know if I don't get her here myself, my dad will seriously flip out and if she gets fired, I wouldnt survive here.

I come up with some crappy excuse saying I'm running next door to the store to get some bananas for our homemade smoothies, so I can go to Jen's place and wake her pretty face up.

I run across the street, almost getting run over by a motorcyclist.

"Sorry!", I yelled to him.

He stops to give me the finger and then continues on his way.

"Good morning to you, too!", I yell at him. Are'nt New Yorkers just the peachiest?