Chapter 41

The very next day, for the first time ever, I wake up to a picture of Aden Arrington.

He woke up a few minutes ago, presumably because the side of his face is lined with the pattern of his sweatshirt. His cheeks are puffed up and his eyes semi-swollen. His hair is sleeked back in a messy bun and his lips are half-smiling. I exit the image to see the caption.

Aiden: Good morning Princess 😊

I expect to feel unsettled by the nickname, but instead I’m gripped by the comfortable familiarity of his attention. I can’t deny how much I missed him; missed waking up and smiling at my little phone screen. I send him a smiley face and start my day off with my habitual shower.

At school, I stifle a giggle as I view another picture he sends me in the afternoon. Some people turn back at the noise, but the only movement I acknowledge is Sybil sitting next to me. When I pass the phone to her, she slaps her hand in front of her mouth as her head bobs with mirth.

This time Aden is laying on his forearm, stationed on the window of some car with the wind flying past him, lifting his hair. The video shows his eyes opening and closing as the car speeds.

Aiden: I feel like Mufasa

Me: The mane, huh?

Aiden: How did you guess?

Me: Wish you were here

Aiden:

Me: I miss running my fingers through it

Aidan: Should I send a picture with Callisto’s hand in it?

I shake my head, smiling. I never got to see this goofy, completely relaxed version of Aden before.

By the looks of it, I’m in for a treat from now on. Day after day, I’m surprised by his creative poses as well as his eagerness. He did promise to help me forget about LA. But watching him succeed is beyond comical.

Every time I see his adorable face, I can’t help myself; my heart melts a little. The feelings I had for him are returning with an ease I never could have anticipated after all the hurt he inflicted.

The days go by and he becomes busier, but never absent

The days go by and he becomes busier, but never absent.  He still sends me three pictures a day without fail. With time, I notice things I never got to before now. A few days later, I see pimples sprouting on his forehead. It’s an oddly reassuring sight.

On another day, he appears shirtless on my screen. He’s wrapped in white linen with the sexiest come-to-bed eyes. I bite my finger absentmindedly. Why does he look so delicious? The last time I saw him with his shirt off was during the weekend he had spent with me here in Cleveland.

The memory brings a smile to my lips and a quaver to my body. What wouldn’t I do to be chest-to-chest with him again? To feel the smooth skin of his shoulders beneath my fingertips? To kiss his lips and grip his forearms in lustful desperation? He makes it so easy to fall back in love with him.