Chapter 3: training

Cover photo: Eagle

I yawned and stretched awake, I glanced at Eagle, I had an overwhelming urge to pounce on him. It had been 2 moons since Icestorm had told us our first story about the clans, and about our brother, Maple. Icestorm had told us many more stories since then. Eagle and I were obsessed with the clans now. I shook out my fur and launched myself onto Eagle.

"Got you! Now you're a fox!" I say, spinning on my paws

Eagle leaped up and chased me, the snow was starting to melt, and at four moons old, we were heavier now. Eagle and I both broke through the snow with our bounds, but we were bigger and were able to jump out relatively easily. Near the den, there is a small patch of melted snow, and a green and purple thing was growing there, which Icestorm told us was called a flower. I bounded over to the flower and inhaled its sweet scent. I stood distracted a moment too long though, as Eagle bowled me over with a flying leap.

"Ha! Got you!" Eagle yowls

I don't reply, instead, I quickly dive under Eagles belly, and push all of my weight against his belly, sending him flying.

"Oof!" Eagle exclaims as he lands, winded "that was a good move!"

"I learned it from one of Icestorm's stories" I proudly exclaim

"That was good, but not perfect, here, let me show you how it's done," Icestorm says, walking over

Soon we were doing the move perfectly and were begging Icestorm to teach us more.

"Well, in a clan, you wouldn't start training until you were six moons old, but... this isn't a clan, so I guess I could teach you a few things..." contemplated Icestorm

We trained with Icestorm until the sun began to set, and Icestorm shooed us back to the den with the promise that we would learn more tomorrow