Tawan

Chapter 5: Tawan

"Fortune Cookie?"

I ask just to be sure, hoping I might have misheard it.

"Yeah, right. Fortune Cookie, BNK48's song."

Nadia says it again, deliberately emphasizing every syllable. Alright, I'm sure I hear it correctly this time. I try to keep a straight face while slowly turning to make eye contact with chief Nok who's sitting beside me, expecting to perhaps find her sharing the same emotion.

Surprisingly, she is attentively listening to Nadia's suggestion.

"Uh... Is there any other plan? This is just the first option, right?"

I try to reject the idea by asking for alternatives. Stay optimistic. Maybe Nadia prepared ten plans and this is just the first of many.

"Why? Don't you like these cutie BNK girls?"

Nadia tilts his head curiously.

"I like BNK girls. But liking them and cover-dancing a song from them are completely different. Especially when it means to perform in the hundred days' party, dressing up like them, on top of that. I told you to help me create a show for Internal Medicine, not create a disaster!"

Correct... The stage show for Internal Medicine Department that Nadia had promised to help me produce turns out to be a dance cover for the song "Fortune Cookie" from BNK48. Nadia told me he needed some time to research and then disappeared for three days, so I expected him to come up with something more sensible.

"There's a reason for this, Tawan."

Nadia insists. But I frown. Can there be a reason that explains why I must dance to Fortune Cookie song?

"What the hell is that reason? Tell me."

"Okay, look. A show needs to have a theme. It needs something that is a selling point."

Meanwhile, he whips out his cellphone and launches Keynote application, showing me a set of presentation slides he had so elaborately prepared. The title says "Why You Should Dance Fortune Cookie."

... Now I know, he disappeared for three days to prepare for this presentation. Oh my Nadiaaaa!

Uh, he already made the slides, so I might as well look at them. I want to know if there's really a valid reason why I and my peers from Internal Medicine Department need to present Fortune Cookie dance cover for the resident contest in hundred days' party. I turn and look at chief Nok. She's still listening intently.

"Selling point should be unique, because if you're not unique, it means you have a rival."

Nadia starts with the first slide, showing ten blots of colors in ten different colors.

"This image has ten dots in ten colors. Pick one that you like. Chief Nok, too, please choose one."

Nadia nods to both of us.

"Uh... I choose the sky blue." I make a choice.

"I pick the pink one." Chief Nok chooses other blot.

"Why did you pick the sky blue dot, Tawan?" Nadia asks.

"Why? I like the color, of course." I reply.

"And I like pink, so I chose pink." The chief answers without waiting for Nadia's question.

"Aha, okay. Now look at this."

Nadia skips the next two slides and shows me a new page. It looks similar, having ten blots but with only nine colors. There are two blue blots that have slightly different shades.