Chapter 97

- Chapter 97 -

All I could see was darkness, I could hear murmuring in the faint distance before I smelt something revolting under my nose. What is that? It continued to be wafted and it seemed to get stronger. Gagging and coughing for air my throat and eyes burned.

"Esme! Esme are you alright?" I heard Guy call my name fainting as I continued to cough and try to get onto my hands and knees.

"Isabella was trying to rip us apart." I heard Kate speak in the distant as I glanced up blinking and noticed that Archer and Kate were helping us up. What were they doing here?

"Well, that means Allan's innocent." Robin muttered.

"The entrance to the castle's blocked. Follow me!" Archer instructed as he went to help me to my feet but Guy pulled me into his arms instead.

"Why should we trust you? This would have been a trap you set!" I angrily glare at him as we all fall silent.

"He lead me here to help save you" Kate defended but I glared in her direction.

"I don't trust you!" I warned Archer. He gulped uneasy before he led us back towards the castle. Guy and I stayed at the back of the group keeping an eye out incase anyone tried to make a surprise attack. We paused for a moment as they walked ahead before Guy pulled me into his arms and gave me a passionate kiss.

"I thought I lost you" I whispered terrified as he let his fingers trail down my face, as though he's trying to imprint me into his memory.

"Never" He whispered with a promise and kiss before we caught up to the others who had captured Isabella. I was more than happy to do the honors of tightening the chains around her wrists a bit too tight. She winced and squirmed as I smirked at her. Pay back. Pushing her forward we made our way to the marketplace where the men from the forest had grabbed torches and weapons and fought off the guards that had once held Nottingham castle. I was really proud to see them stand up and fight for their freedom.Robin pulled a couple of barrels and boxes together high enough that he could stand on them to be seen by the people as the all grew silent as they saw him.

"In the name of King Richard, I charge Isabella of Gisborne with high treason and crimes against the people of Nottingham. The castle and everything in it belongs to the people!" He announced raising his arms as everybody cheered and began to celebrate. I saw Guy standing solemnly behind his sister and I wondered how he was feeling. He's probably feeling very torn at this moment. Our celebrations unfortunately were cut short as Much was running towards us from the main gait.

"Robin!" Recognizing the alarm in his voice Robin immediately jumps off his perch with us running in tow towards the main gate. Guy kept a firm grip on Isabella ensuring she didn't escape as we went to see what all the commotion was about.

Much stops just outside it where a heavy burlap roll lies, bulging in the middle. We all paused wondering what it could be and I began to feel my heart drop a little bit, not liking where this was leading. Much and Little John step forward, grab the edge of the cloth and pull it, unwinding it only to see Allan's body rolls out. Upon seeing the blood and the vacant look in his eye I gasp horrified and feeling guilty.

"No" I whisper in disbelief as Tuck jumps over the edge of the cloth and kneels by Allan's head. He turns Allan's head and the unseeing blue eyes stare up at the sky. Tuck looks back at the gang, shaking his head. Much began to sob as John drops down to sit on the ledge of the bridge. I hadn't even noticed the tears streaming down my face until Guy went to wipe them away. I felt myself stumble as Robin caught me with a concerned look in his eye. This was my fault, I gave him the dagger to escape.