Chapter Three

"How is that possible?" I asked, "My Mother is Melaina North."

"Melaina is the other name I go by," Melinoe told me.

Of course. I had even read about that in the readings for my Greek Mythology class. I should have known that.

"What about my Dad, Jackson North?" I asked.

"His real name was Peran and he was the sweetest man I'd ever met. He was a human, but he knew exactly who I was and didn't care. He loved me for me. He and I kept our relationship a secret for fear of Zeus lashing out, since technically, there can only be one child of Hades in the mortal realm at a time. And unfortunately for me, my brother, Zagreus had taken up that spot full time after a rather terrifying ordeal at the Gates of Tartarus."

"What happened to him?" I asked curiously.

"His body was torn apart and while he was revived and healed, he vowed to never set foot in the Underworld again," Melinoe replied.

It was silent for a moment before I steered the conversation back to my birth Father.

"So you snuck around with Peran?" I asked.

"Yes and eventually we had you," Melinoe explained. She took a deep breath and tears began to stream down her cheeks. "But Peran got sick and eventually succumbed to his illness. The plan the two of us had made was that he would raise you in the human world and I would visit when I could. But that all went to Tartarus when he died. So I had to think of something and fast because Zeus was bound to catch me. I desperately wanted to take you to the Underworld with me, but I knew that I couldn't condemn you to a dark and lifeless place, not when you didn't even choose it. So I left you in a basket on the doorstep of a house. I knew the family that lived there would look after you and I prayed to my Father that one day I'd be reunited with you."

"What does any of this have to do with the Mortanes?" I asked.

"They aren't human, Clarissa," Melinoe told me, "And your fate is connected to them. Those four young men are cursed and you are one of the four that can help end their suffering. There's a war coming, my dear, and I'm sorry to have to tell you that you play a crucial role in it."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"I can't tell you I'm afraid," Melinoe told me. Thunder crashed as a storm brewed above us. Melinoe cursed.

"What's wrong?" I asked, "It's just a storm."

"No it's not," Melinoe replied, "That's Zeus. He knows I'm here when I shouldn't be. I'll try and see you again soon, Clarissa. But for now, go back to the lake house and help the Mortanes. They'll teach you how to control your powers."

And with that she kissed my forehead and vanished.

"Wait!" I called out. I didn't want her to go, I had just found her and still had so many questions. What powers had she meant? What were the Mortanes? Why was I connected to them? What did all of this mean?

But it was too late, Melinoe, my Mother, was gone. I had found her and lost her all in the course of a few hours.

I dropped to my knees and heard whispering around me. The shadows and lost souls were restless, I could feel it. My hands glowed black as the moonlight shone down on me. What was happening to me? My hair got sleeker and longer. My eyes got brighter. What was going on? Did this have something to do with Melinoe? It had to. The power I felt in my veins wasn't human it was otherworldly.

That kiss she gave me...could it have caused this? Maybe.

I heard soft footsteps and nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw a ghost walk out of the woods. He bowed and smiled at me.