Preview of Allocate: Chapter One

Sunlight poured into my room and fell across my face, forcing me to open my eyes. I caught my reflection in the mirror and saw the tangly mess of dark brown hair on my head and my tired dark green eyes. Ah well, I could fix all of that when I got ready.

I got out of bed and went straight into the bathroom. I showered, got dressed, braided my hair, and put on a little makeup. I then grabbed my bag and went downstairs to find my Dad sitting at the dining table, sipping a cup of coffee and reading the paper.

"Morning Rose," he greeted me. That was me, Rosalie Chase.

"Morning Dad," I replied as I grabbed a slice of toast. I quickly ate it and then chugged a glass of milk.

"Are you in a hurry?" Dad asked.

"I'm getting a ride to school with a friend," I replied.

"Well okay then," Dad told me, "Will I see you later?"

"Maybe," I replied, "I'm not sure yet."

I partied occasionally, but my Dad was fine with it. He never really questioned what I did outside of the house. As long as I didn't get hurt or do drugs or drink myself into oblivion, he was fine with me going out with my friends.

"Alright, well if you do go out, make sure you're home by midnight," he told me. Another rule that he and I had established. A curfew. Annoying, but necessary.

"What if I'm at the lake house?" I asked.

"Then just sleep there," he told me. I nodded.

"Okay," I replied as I rushed out the door.

I heard a horn honk outside.

"My ride's here," I told him.

He nodded.

"Alright, if I don't see you tonight, then I'll see you tomorrow morning," he told me. He kissed my forehead and the horn sounded again. I kissed my Dad's cheek before rushing out the door. I slid into the passenger's seat of a black BMW and greeted the driver of the car, a young woman with blonde hair and bright blue eyes.

"Hey Clary," I greeted her.

"Morning Rose," she replied.

Clarissa North and I had met when I first arrived in Moonshell about two weeks ago with my Dad and the two of us had become fast friends. She was someone I could rely on. It helped that we had some things in common. She was adopted and my Mom had abandoned me and my Dad when I was little. Diana Chase had run away from her family and no one, not even my Dad, knew why.

"Where's Natalia?" I asked. Natalia Mortane and Clarissa North were best friends and I rarely saw one without the other. There was something about them. Something different...although I suppose that wasn't a bad thing. Everyone was unique in their own way.

"With her brothers," Clarissa replied, "They'll meet us there."

Clarissa pulled out of my driveway and drove straight to the college.