Chapter Two

The three of us entered the living room and found two more men sitting across from each other, locked in what appeared to be an intense game of chess. They had the same pale skin and tall, toned, muscular build as Arrow and Soren. They even had the same black hair. One of them had cobalt blue eyes and the other had navy blue eyes. Their facial features were slightly different, but they looked enough like Soren and Arrow for me to assume that they were related somehow. Probably brothers.

"Clarissa, these are my younger brothers, Ryder and Calix," Arrow told me.

They gasped as they looked at me.

"Clarissa? As in...Clarissa North?" Calix asked. Ryder smacked his brother upside the head.

"How many other Clarissa Norths do we know of, Calix?" Ryder growled.

"Don't mind them," Soren told us, "Can I get you anything? Water maybe?"

I shook my head.

"Who are you people?" I asked, "I've never seen you around Moonshell before."

"We're the Mortane brothers," Arrow told me.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"We're looking for our sister," Ryder replied.

"Lillian," Calix added, "She ran from home about a month ago. She always liked Moonshell when we were little, so we thought she may have come here. Have you seen her?"

Arrow pulled out a photograph of the five of them. They were all laughing and smiling. They all looked happy. And I wondered what had driven Lillian to run away from a family that looked so happy. But Arrow was waiting for an answer.

"No, we haven't seen her," I told him.

He nodded in understanding.

"But we'll let you know if we do," I assured him.

"Thank you," Arrow told me.

"Now how do you know my Mother?" I asked.

"Your Mother is a close friend of our Mother's," Arrow replied.

"And my Dad?" I asked.

"He passed away some time ago, I'm sorry," Arrow told me.

I started to shake at that. He was dead. He was dead. My Dad was dead.

"How?" I choked out, unsure if I truly wanted to know.

"He got sick and succumbed to his illness," Arrow told me.

"And my Mom?" I asked.

"She ran off in her grief. We haven't heard from her since," Arrow replied.

I rushed out of the lake house and noticed that it was already evening.

I reached my car and felt two sets of arms wrap around me.

Hannah and Ruby were here and they had my back like they always did.

"We are so sorry, Clary," Hannah told me.

"I don't know why I'm so upset," I told them, "They gave me up."