Eternity

AN: Oh my gosh!!! Can I just say a massive massive thank you for all your lovely comments. You guys are just the sweetest, and it really means the world to me. I'm so sorry for the long delay- as you can probably guess, uni has been so so hectic. Hectic but unreal, in the best and most magical way. Unfortunately, this chapter is really more of a filler to establish the final plot line of the fic but I'm back home now so hopefully the updates should be less sporadic!!! Thank you for being so patient with me. I'm absolutely overjoyed to tell you that there's not much more of this fic left to go!!!! I've planned for another 10 chapters at the moment, which may change, but the finale is in sight and I cannot wait to complete it! There's something so gratifying about finishing a story, bittersweet but worthwhile. I hope you guys like the last journey.

Chapter Thirty Two - Eternity

He was eleven.

The platform was an explosion of life. He could hear snippets of conversation, floating past him, like snatches of a far-off dream, and laughter rang around the station. Owls hooted, children screamed, parents shouted, and all of it was like the most beautiful orchestra he had ever heard; music to his ears. The horn of the Hogwarts Express danced with it all. The train was pulled up proudly, a vibrant red that glistened and beamed, and he felt his eyes widen at the sight, the grin pulling his lips before he could stop it. His legs stopped moving. His heart beat furiously. Draco felt euphoric. He had been waiting for this day ever since his mother had told him about Hogwarts, ever since he'd received his letter, ever since he'd bought his wand and felt the rush of magic in the palm of his hand. His life was starting, he could feel it, feel the dawn of the next decade ready and ripe for the living-

He was nineteen.

The platform was not as busy as he remembered. No children rushed past him, overwhelmed by their excitement to start school. No cats prowled, nor owls screeched, no frogs got lost and found again. Even the train looked duller than usual.

Draco felt much older than nineteen. He shifted his briefcase between his feet, straightened his robes, fiddled with his wand in his sleeve. Though he'd retreated to a far corner of the platform, he still felt eyes burning holes into him, accusing, suspicious, distrustful.

Hermione appeared out of the wall ahead of him, hair ruffled slightly, already falling free of the clips she'd employed in an attempt to scrape her curls back. She stopped, eyes scanning the platform for him, pushing her trolley over to his corner when she spotted him.

"Do you really need that much stuff?" he demanded, eyeing her trolley distastefully. She'd piled it high with her old Hogwarts trunk, as well as another zip bag which he knew contained every book she had in her possession, shrunken to fit. "You do know Hogwarts has a library?"

"I'm choosing to ignore that," she replied irritably.

"You could have left the cat at home, at least." The offended creature in question hissed from his carrier. "I'm sure it could have kept my mother company."

"I would rather leave you than Crooks."

Draco raised his eyebrows. "I believe you."

She sent him a final scowl, bending to whisper soothing consolations to the animal in question. In fact, Draco was sure he heard her promise to turn him back into a ferret so the beast could eat him.

He scoffed, looking away from them, casting his eyes out at the scarcely populated platform.

"This can't be everyone," he said.

Blinking up at him, a small frown graced her face before understanding dawned and she straightened and glanced around. Hermione shrugged slightly and said, leaning towards him so she could lower her voice, "People are still scared, Draco. The war was only last year. McGonagall said it's the lowest intake the school has ever had."