Chapter Nine

James was currently regretting ever asking Ashe to mentor him in his sword skills. They had been sparing for the past three hours, usually he would be still energized but now...

"Ugh!" James was jabbed again with the fake wooden sword as this time he laid on the ground, "You are becoming better." James gave a laugh at Ashe's attempt to encourage him, "Yes, I've landed softer this time." James sat up as he frowned at the pain in his calf, it was a dull throb but hurt more than it had before. Ashe seemed to notice something off before James stood up, "I believe that's enough for now, Ashe. I've grown quite tired and I have tea tomorrow with Ciel. He has requested me to ask my opinion on some sweets his butler is preparing." Ashe nodded as he began to wipe down the equipment they used, "What is the Earl Phantomhive like?" James gave a cheerful smile as he began to pick up one of the small sandwiches, "Ciel's father, Vincent Phantomhive, was a kind man to me." James turned towards Ashe as he relaxed, "He let me visit as often as I wanted, and even gave me some gifts during my birthday… well, a lot of people did, but his was special." James walked towards a fencing sword that was actually smaller than any of the others, "When I first took up sword skills he had this custom made for me. Upon my music lessons he would often ask if I would enjoy playing for himself and his family, Madam Red was there often. His wife…" 

"Yes?" James tilted his head as he sighed, "She was nice to me as well, almost like another mother. You see, I was often at lessons and princely duties. She allowed me to play like a child at her home. Rachel Phantomhive loved her husband and son dearly. Ciel was a kind boy, spirited and happy at any little detail." James had a laugh as he smiled towards James, "Now he's more somber, but I know he enjoys some fun too, we still play chess together. He's kind of like an actual family member." James cleared his throat as he reflected back to the orange flames, "That's enough reflecting, I'm going to retire to my room. Thank you for helping me Ashe. Will you please tell Mother that I wish her good night, and I look forward to breakfast tomorrow morning?" Ashe bowed with a smile back at him, "Yes, I will. Thank you for allowing me to help." James laughed softly as he walked out of the room with a wave, quietly walking towards his room in the large castle. 

Morning at the Castle:

"Prince James?" James yawned as he slowly climbed out of the bed as the curtains were opened for him, "Mmm… Morning Maria…" The maid smiled towards the male with a little giggle, "I see you are in your usual morning mood." James nodded his head as he rubbed his eyes, "Mm… I am not." Maria laughed cheerfully as she handed him a few letters, "For you. Breakfast will be ready in an hour, Her Majesty wishes to let you know she looks forward to seeing you." James suddenly seemed to change as he smiled brightly with sparkles around him, "I can't wait! Thank you Maria!" Maria gave a giggle as she curtsied to him, "My pleasure." 

"Ah… Alister again, typical, he is wanting to throw a party for being released." James began to look at the letters that was given to him. His fingers grazed a familiar seal, "Ah, Ciel." James opened the letter as he began to get dressed, "Hmm, 'Dear James, I look forward to our tea today. Due to a sudden amount of work I must stay in my study most of the time you will be here. Please feel free to interact with any of my servants and play any instrument or game.' Always formal." James smiled as he buttoned up his collared shirt and pulled on his pants, "'I believe you have something to discuss with Tanaka, he might be very tired due to a meeting he will have later today.' Ouch!" James suddenly winced upon the pain of a bandage moving, a knock sounded upon the door, "Your Highness?" James looked towards the door before nodding, "Enter. Please shut the door as you come in, I am in the process of being dressed." The familiar white haired butler bowed as he entered shutting the door softly, "I heard something that sounded like pain, are you alright?" James sighed quietly as he pulled up his pants leg, "Unfortunately I cut my leg while on my trip. I'm sure mother has told you of how clumsy I used to be." Ashe looked towards his leg before nodding as he retrieved some medical supplies, "I noticed you favoriting your right leg during practice, I had guessed you favoured that side." 

"I guess it might have been obvious, thank you." Ashe had begun to clean the wound and rebandage it properly as James began to read again, "'I hoped for us to have our usual chess game but I am too busy.' At least I won't have to worry there." Ashe looked confused towards him, "Pardon?" James had a pleasant smile as he folded away the letter, "Ciel is brilliant at Chess, he could have put my father in five different traps in the first round. I don't wish to seem as if I am bragging but I am lucky to pose a slight challenge to Ciel." Ashe gave a smile as he finished wrapping James' leg, "It does not sound like bragging Your Highness." James smiled towards him cheerfully as he finally finished getting ready for the day, "Thank you Ashe, Shall we head towards Breakfast?" The white haired butler smiled before he led the male towards the dining area, his mother was sitting at her usual spot, the head of the table and the seat to her right was empty. James happily sat down as he smiles towards his mother, "Hello Mom. I hope you've slept well." James did feel a little upset at the constant veil upon his mother's face but her cheerful tone had helped him feel at ease, "I did, I hope you did. I heard you were being gracious towards an unexpected guest." James smiled as he began to eat after his mother took her first bite, wanting to be sure she ate. 

"Yes, her name was Angela, she had brought a few dogs over as a last wish from someone named James in Houndsworth. He has passed away and in his final will I was asked to take at least one." The Queen looked towards him as she nodded, "Which did you choose? It must have been hard." James smiled quietly before he finally came clean, "I took them all in. The poor dogs had gone through such a hard time and we have plenty of room, I didn't want to separate them… they were family." James looked towards his plate as the Queen was silent, before she spoke in a soft sad voice, "You were always so kind… My dear boy." James looked towards his veiled mother, before he reached for her gloved hand, "You taught me Mom. You taught me how to be kind to people." Victoria could be heard sniffing quietly before her happy voice filled the room with warmth again, "I may have taught you… but it was you who put it to action James." James nodded before he smiled at the soft touch from his mother, "Right." 

The air was pleasant as the staff watched the two royals from afar, as they quietly ate. Maria had a soft smile as she watched the male before her, Ashe tapped her on the shoulder before whispering, "May I speak with you?" Maria turned before nodding and walking towards the empty room, "Y-Yes Mr. Landers?" Ashe looked at her as he calmly questioned her, "What have you been doing last night? You were twenty minutes late in waking his Highness." Maria suddenly seemed nervous as she quickly stated, "I went out sir. I thought the fresh air would do well." Ashe looked at her before he turned his head, "Very well. Do not be late again." Maria nodded her head as she quickly scurried away while breakfast had finished and James was headed to his room.

~~~~

Merry christmas! I'm done with Finals so I'm doing my best to get ahead

Hope everyone has a fantastic holiday! Thank you for reading these. It means a lot.

--
S.R