Merry Christmas

The next morning Ash rose early for once, careful not to wake up Eiji while dressing silently and leaving the house. He left Eiji a note, just in case he woke up. Then he bought some cake from their favorite café around the corner and went to the store Eiji had been staring at each time they were walking by. Eiji didn't have enough money to afford the object on display. Fortunately, Ash did. He had saved up some money because he had taken over a lot of shifts before Christmas in the café he was working at. He only cared for the overjoyed look Eiji would give him... It was Christmas after all...

After that he went to a last shop. Some weeks ago he had seen something in a window. It was a bit cheesy, but Eiji would love it. At least he hoped so...

He closed the door as silently as he could. Then he sneaked into the living room and prepared the cake and made some coffee.

The living room looked a bit smaller now because Eiji had to stuff a huge Christmas tree in it and had decorated the whole room with Christmas decorations and motives, candles and artificial snow as well as electric lights. Ash told him that was dumb and a waste of money. But Eiji had just stubbornly glared at him, insisting that he loved Christmas because it was a celebration of happiness and love and that he was truly happy to be able to spend this Christmas together with him.

That had made Ash shut up instantly, reminding him how close he had been to death and how much he had hurt Eiji with that dumb decision of bleeding out. He felt like an ungrateful bastard when the only thing Eiji wanted was giving their living room a warm and happy atmosphere by turning it into a winter wonderland. So, instead of complaining further, he reluctantly helped Eiji decorating the room as well as the Christmas tree, realizing that it was kind of relaxing and fun. Especially when Eiji pouted because he couldn't reach the crown of their Christmas tree to place a tree-topper shaped like a star on it, but Ash could reach it easily. He couldn't help but burst out laughing when Eiji  puffed out his cheeks while glaring at him. It was adorable.

"Ash?", Eiji said, yawning and rubbing his eyes while entering the living room, pulling him out of his thoughts.

"Wow, you're already dressed and awake? That must have been a first.", Eiji smirked at him. "A Christmas miracle!"

"Is that from our favorite café?", he asked, his eyes lighting up instantly while pure joy overwhelmed his features. "Thank you! But cake for breakfast?" A small frown appeared on his forehead.

"It's Christmas.", Ash simply said. "Let's make an exception today, ok?", he said, winking at him.

Then he got up, feeling slightly nervous. Eiji saw that at once.

"What's wrong, Ash?"

"It's nothing. I just wanted to tell you something. I've been wanting to tell you that for a long time, but I was too afraid. I'm so sorry, Eiji.", he said, looking sadly at him.

"It's fine, Ash. Just tell me.", he replied while his warm eyes looked up at him encouragingly.

Ash just hugged Eiji tightly. "Thanks for staying by my side. I love you, Eiji. You have no idea how much I love you. I'm so sorry for not telling you sooner.", he said quietly while a tear ran down his face.

He could feel Eiji freezing up for a moment when hearing that. Then Eiji slowly pulled out of the hug while staring wide-eyed at Ash in pure surprise. After processing what Ash had just said, his face brightened and he beamed at him, his eyes turning golden brown while sparkling with pure happiness.

"I love you, too, Ash.", Eiji told him while looking at him overjoyed, that huge, innocent smile that Ash lived for lighting up his whole face. Ash relaxed instantly when Eiji returned those words to him without the slightest hesitation. Relief and joy flooded his features and he felt like the happiest man alive. Maybe he had to go through hell to find and deserve someone as wonderful as Eiji in the end?