Cassian

The beats of my wings sounded desolate in the rocky gloom of the chasm. I knew that I was tempting fate, flying down here with a storm soon on its way, but I didn't care enough to see sense. I just flew, onwards and onwards, knowing that the storm would catch me before I made it out of the other end. If I'd turned around five minutes ago, I could've made it out the way I'd come before the storm hit. If I turned around now I could make it back to a little cave where I could find shelter. But I couldn't bring myself to stop.

The arrival of the storm was announced by a whistling of wind, roaring like a pack of wolves down the slot of the gorge, punctuated by small rockfalls as chunks of debris were knocked away. A gasp of held breath, and the heavens opened, rain falling so sharp and fast it stung my exposed wings and face. A gust of wind caught me and I was hurled, head over heels, only just managing to keep my grip on the sky. I dropped a few metres, trying to find my way down to the bottom of the chasm. I could hear the river that carved it roaring somewhere below, and could only hope that there would be a beach or something I could land on until the storm abated.

I flapped quickly down, buffeted by the gusts and lashed by rain. My luck appeared to be out. I was tiring quickly, and the river covered the whole base of the canyon at this point. One particularly strong gust hit me, sending me crashing down into the river. It was icy cold and took my breath away. I thrashed. My feet hit the bottom and I dragged myself out onto a sloping shelf of sand.

The storm left almost as quickly as it had come. I peered out from under the overhanging shelf of rock at the top of the beach that had probably saved my life. The thunder-purple clouds and howling gale had gone, leaving only a blustery day dripping softly in the weak spring sunshine. Only the river was the same, a churning, bloated giant, spray spitting where it crashed around rocks. I shivered miserably before shaking out my stiff, damp wings and taking to the air once more.

When I finally got back, Rhysand glared at me. To be fair to him, I was two hours late for his meeting, and I knew that he thought those two hours could have been spent enjoying some time with his mate. I reckoned that nearly dying was a pretty acceptable excuse, but both Rhys and Feyre were so busy at the moment, two hours together maybe happened once a week without something disrupting them. I tried to discreetly dry my wings at the fire in his study whilst he explained how things were going out in the Illyrian Warcamps. Azriel smirked at me to let me know he knew exactly what I was doing, and that he was Rhys' favourite. I glared at him to let him know that he was a prick.

"And lastly, there's been a report of some naga have escaped into the woods between the gardens at the edge of the city and the woods. Cassian, would you go down and investigate that." I grimaced slightly. That wasn't a question, that was an order.

"Tonight?" I asked miserably. Rhys nodded affirmatively, and we were dismissed.