Cassian

I was nearly asleep when the door opened and Nesta walked in. I'd forgotten that I'd given her the keys to my apartment. In the dim light of the hall lamp, I could see the new athleticism in her gait. She used to walk like a swan, now she walked like a panther. In her Illyrian leathers, with a dog prowling behind her, she didn't look like someone you'd want to cross in a dark alleyway. But her hair was unbound, the light catching the flyaway strands as she strode in.

I twisted over to see her better, pulling the covers fully over myself. Getting dressed with wings was every bit as hard as it looked, and I didn't often bother with pyjamas. "Hallo, Nesta," I shielded my eyes from the light to see her better. She had some bags, which she dumped against the wall, before slipping out with Becca to settle her downstairs in the kitchen. When she came back, she was biting her lip and seemed unsure of what to do next, so I got up.

Her eyes bugged as the covers fell away. "Oh, shit, Cassian, I'm sorry I didn't know..." She swung round to face the door, hands over eyes, blushing like a sunset. I walked softly over, my feet padding on the carpet. Sliding my arms around her, I balanced my head between her shoulder and her neck, whispering, "You didn't know what, Nesta?" The scales of her Illyrian armour pricked my arms, but her neck was soft and her hair smelled gently of cinnamon. She twisted around to face me, ire burning in her blue-grey eyes.

"I didn't know that I loved you." she said, only giving me a moment to process her words before her mouth claimed mine. My fingers found the buckles of her armour, as familiar to me as breathing, as familiar as the feel of her lips, which felt like they completed a part of me I'd not known I was missing.

I woke to her tugging me up, light streaming through the windows. "Come on, lazybones, it's running time," I forced my eyes to open fully, "You look like a mole," she laughed, kissing me softly on the brow. I cast around for some clothes. "When did you get up?" I asked, seeing she was already dressed.

"About five minutes ago, come on, or I'll bring Becca in and she'll lick you until you drown in doggy spit."

I looked at her, raising my eyebrows. "I'd rather you licked me until I drowned- oh wait. You already did."

She glared at me. "Dirty asshole. I'm tempted to go running without you."

"Oh no, please Nesta, I repent for my sins..."

She grinned and chucked my shorts at my head.

The morning air was cool on my poor fried mind, the motion of running familiar. Pink light from the rising sun washed the scene. The birch trees' silver bark was stained flamingo, the sea glittered pearly. Nesta ran far more easily now, although she was carrying a satchel for no reason that I could discern...

We reached the viewpoint by the time the sun had detached itself from the horizon, hanging like a big yellowy lantern. Nesta stopped to peer out to sea. A lone ship was drifting slowly in towards the harbour, but not even a breeze ruffled the silver waters. "I was talking to Feyre yesterday," I turned to look at Nesta, "She said that to accept the mate bond you had to offer your mate food, so..." I froze. Could it be? We were mates? 

She pulled a cake wrapped in waxed cloth from her satchel. "It's a bit squashed, I'm sorry." I took a slice from her, almost in a daze, my eyes never leaving her face. As the first bite melted on my tongue, the mate bond came alive. A glorious rope of cinnamon, black and gold, dancing with light and fire. I felt her presence in my mind, and heard her think 'It worked!'.

 I thought back, 'I love you so, so much. 

Also, damn good cake.

***

I hope you liked it, this was my first fanfic so any comments/suggestions/improvements would be really handy. Anyway it was loads of fun to write. As always, please comment/vote/like :) 

Cordelia Lesoto