The Very Beginning

Clive Remus Sparrow was the man who saved the world. He wished he wasn't, but at least for the years after the event, it's what he would be known for. He had discovered the Passer's stone, a crystal said to have been sourced directly from the Earth's core.

It was never confirmed exactly what happened to trigger the near apocalypse that took the world by storm, but it was abundantly clear that it was a blow from which the human race would never fully recover.  A two year winter followed.

In the winter after what was thought to be the end of the world, and after all the plants of the earth had died, and most of the population with them, it was discovered that earth had a backup source of oxygen, which some theorized was its core.

When Clive discovered the Passer's stone it gave him an understanding of how it worked. The Passer's stone itself was a contradiction. It held enough power in it to destroy our world as we know it and at the same time was the only thing keeping the world alive.
Clive made a pledge that he and all his descendants after him would protect the Passer's stone. In return the stone would not let its bearer die until it had been passed on to the next generation. But with that great blessing also came a curse. No member of the sparrow family could have more than one child, unless of course they adopted.

For years after Clive found the stone, greedy and power hungry people tried to take the Passer's stone from Clive but every time someone outside of the Sparrow family tried to seize the stone they died shortly after touching it. Clive's daughter saw the greed and destruction being caused by the stone and the lust for power. So she ran away with it and pretended it didn't exist. It became nothing more than a myth or a family secret.