Chapter 6: Too much to handle

I'm trembling as we pull up into the hospital's parking lot. My knees are up to my chest in the front seat and my eyes are leaking, smearing my makeup so I look like a clown, no doubt. V is in the backseat quietly sobbing to herself with her hood over her head and her sleeves covering her hands.

My Aunt holds my hand we step in the lobby like I'm still a little girl. We ask the receptionist which room Mr. and Mrs. Holloway are in; Rm. 238, second floor. As we stand in the oversized elevator, thousands of thoughts go through my head. I can't even think about what happened to them without bawling.

We knock on the door, and see two hospital beds, my Dad on the side near the window and my Mom near the door. Dad is asleep, but Mom is awake and alert, and her face brightens as we walk through the door.

"Girls, you have no idea how happy I am to see you," she looks like she's about to cry as she says this. I push through V and my Aunt and rush over to give her a hug. "I love you, Mommy," I cry into her shoulder.

A few minutes later, a short plump nurse in Mickey Mouse scrubs steps in and explain what happened. Mom and Dad were driving to pick up my Dad's car from the shop, and while they were crossing a street, a huge SUV slams into them because the car didn't stop at the stop sign, hitting the passenger's side where my Dad was. They totaled the car, which is ironic since they were on their way to pick up my Dad's newly fixed car.

Dad suffered from a severe concussion, mild internal bleeding, a few broken ribs, tons of horrid bruises and a broken right arm. Mom wasn't as bad, since all the impact from the huge car was directed to Dad. She also had a milder concussion, a broken left collar bone and also had some intense bruises.

I can't explain how relieved I was to know they were going to be okay.

We stayed for an hour or so, but unfortunately Dad never woke up to know we were there. After promising we would be back tomorrow, we headed back home. Auntie tried to insist that she stay with us while Mom and Dad were in the hospital, but Vanessa and I convinced her we were both responsible and trusted girls.

Once we get home, V decides she's going to order pizza, against my will. I tell her my stomach is upset and I didn't want to push it. She looks dubious, but doesn't say anything. As she scarfs down 700 calories worth of greasy fatty food, I make myself a packet of apple cinnamon instant oatmeal (130), a plain rice cake (22) and a mug of green tea without sugar (0).

I take a steaming hot shower then crawl into bed with a book and my phone, to text Connor to tell him what happened now. After we promise to hang out at his house tomorrow, I close my eyes and try to decipher what the hell happened today.

*****

I avoid Sophia for most of Tuesday. I sat in a different seat in homeroom, I didn't make eye contact with her in the hallway, but then during sixth period, we ran into each other in the bathroom. Figures. I washed my hands in silence while she reapplied a pink sparkly lip gloss.

She tubed the gloss and rubs her lips together. I pat down my hair and still don't acknowledge her existence. Finally, she looks down at me and says, "Look, I know I overreacted yesterday by saying those things to you in homeroom, but you hurt me and you don't even care."