A Promise

"Mom, I'm home...what are you doing to him. Why is he all tied up?" I asked confusingly. "Who is this man? Why is he in our house? And wait a sec, so you really do know him? I thought he was just lying." My mom said calmly while getting a sip of tea from his tea cup.

"Yes mom, I know him. Now, can you please untie him already?" I pleaded, "But tell me who is he first."

"He is Kale, my stuffed toy." She started once she heard what I said. "Oh come on Arliqueia, stop joking around. Now tell me who is this young man."

"But I'm telling the truth. He is Kale, don't you believe me?" I said with an irritated voice. "How can you say so?" She asked seriously. "He knows everything, from my childhood until now. Our vacations, and secret conversations that only you and I know, he knows it all. And I only tell my secrets to Kale. If you still don't believe it, then ask him yourself." I said looking down at my feet.

My mom and Kale went to the vacant room and I think my mom is already asking him a lot of things. I went to my room and took a half bath, then changed my clothes into a more comfortable one.

"Arliqueia, come down here already!" My mom shouted from the kitchen. I guess they are done talking already. "Coming!" I shouted back.

"I understand now. But I still couldn't believe it. My head is still processing. Anyways, I decided to let Kale go to school tomorrow as well. I will shoulder all his needs, so that you would have someone to help you if needed." After she said that, I think I was the one who can't process this. How come? Why so fast? I just ate my food and went back to my room and did my homework.

(knock knock)

"Hey, can I get inside?" I saw Kale peeking at the door like a kid. "Sure, you may." I said.

"I'm excited for tomorrow, what does it feel to be in school? Is the food in the cafeteria as good as your mom's cooking?"

"Just wait for tomorrow don't be excited to much, ok?" I said will laughing. He's so cute, I want to hug him.

"What are you doing?" He asked. "Hugging you, why? Can't I? Am I prohibited to hug you?"

"Not really, but why?" He asked while looking elsewhere. "Cause your cute. You are like a kid."

"But I am not. I'm not a kid, I am a man you know?" I looked at him for a second than I started looking back at my homework.

Why did my heart skip a beat? It is so weird. "Anyways, just get ready for tomorrow and if you want to ask me anything, just ask me."

"Ok, I'll sleep already then. Goodnight, see you tomorrow. Oh, and I'll start calling you Arta from now on. Have a sweet dream...and I hope it is me."

After doing my homework, I slept already for tomorrow.

(alarm clock rings)

As the new day start, I went directly to the bathroom and washed myself. Changed into my clothes, and fixed my bag for today.

"Good morning mom." I told my mom. "Good morning sweet heart. Oh good morning to you as well Kale."

"Good morning Arliqueia's mother. Good morning too Arliqueia." Kale greeted. "Just call me auntie." My mom stated. "Oh sure, I'll gladly accept that."

The day started with everyone being awed with Kale's face. I don't know but I get irritated every time someone tries to hit on him. But gladly, he never entertains anyone about it. This happened every day, up to weeks, until now. And have I mentioned? He is currently studying for the third month already. And surprisingly he had coped up fast.

But there is this one night, and that is today, where my mom and kale talked privately. And I had no idea what they are talking about.

After that long talk I walked towards kale out of curiosity. "What did my mom told you?" I asked. "Oh, there is nothing much. She just asked me a favor." He told me in a serious tone. And I know that something's wrong. "What kind of favor?"

He stopped for a while, as if he was hesitating if he would tell me or not. "She just asked me to buy the ingredients for tomorrow's dinner after our classes are over."

"Is that so? Want me to go with you?" I asked, "Sure, I really don't know the other ingredients anyway. I guess you could help me out with it." He said smiling.

After tomorrow, and the following days. I started to think that they are hiding something from me. And I want to know what is it.

"Mom, can we talk for a while?" I asked her. "Sure, what is it?" he then asked.

"Is there something that you would want to tell me? Like, what did you talked about with Kale?" I said. She stopped for a while and looked at me with those sad eyes. "I guess it is ok to tell you already. Since the operation is tomorrow anyways. So, I have a brain tumor. And I'm in a critical condition already. I knew about this two weeks ago, and that was the time I knew that I may be gone soon. And the favor, I asked Kale to take care of you in case that there is really no hope for me in this world. I'm sorry that I didn't told you sooner. I wish you would understand. I just don't want you to be distracted in school because of this."

"Why? Why did you hide it from me? Why? If I knew sooner, I could have helped you." I told her while crying nonstop. "It is okay, it's not your fault."

I don't know, but I went towards the door of Kale instead of mine. I knocked the door three times and then partially opened the door. "Kale, may I come in? Please?" I asked, "Sure, come in."

"What is it? Is there something wrong?" He asked with a concerned tone. "Kale...mom. She is severely sick, and I'm afraid that she may not make it."

"it's okay, don't be scared. She can do it, and if she can't I'm here for you." He said while patting my back, trying to ease the pain. "What will you do?"

"I'll be here with you, whatever it takes. I will help you even if my life is at stake." He promised. "Can you help my mom?" I asked. "of course, do you want me to help your mom?"

"Yes please, help her I beg you." I pleaded and asked him to do me a favor.

"Do you want to look at a meteor shower tomorrow?" He asked smiling.

"Meteor shower, I think there will be none tomorrow."

"Is that so? Then I'll make it possible. Now promise me, tomorrow at eleven P.M." He took out his pinky finger. And I took out mine and intertwined it with his as a sign of an agreement. "I promise."