ii. THE WONDERS OF WAITING

chapter two,

the wonders of waiting.

┠━━━━━━━━━━┦

[unedited] 2.

i tapped my foot hurriedly as i waited for my mother to come pick me up. it was a wait of patience and worry, a wait i wished to evaporate with my sweat. i didn't want to go to this party. at all. this was completely unfair on my behalf. where was my say in all of this?

7:00pm. that's when she said she would pick me up. i've been stranded at this cafe for ten extra minutes than i should have, and maybe i'm gonna start to worry about her. maybe i wanted her to get home tonight because it made me feel more safe in my skin. it was better than being alone.

the waitress arrived at my table again, "are you waiting for someone..?"

why did she care? i didn't need to tell her my business. "no." i stated, a blatant lie.

"oh! well, that's good then. there's a boy over here who just offered to buy you another one of those — " she pointed at my cup, "if you were up for it."

my bubble popped, "who?"

she pointed to the same boy that lived across my street, just he looked a little bit more put together. he had black converse, black jeans with these decorated chains hanging on his thigh, a band tee that i didn't know of, and black eyeliner. i didn't know if i was up for it.

"tell him to save his money." i replied to her. i wouldn't want him wasting his money on me. 

"he's already bought it. i'll just tell him to drink it himself, then."

"how does he know what drink i got?" i questioned, genuinely curious. she shrugged, "i don't think he did actually. he ordered the vanilla latte, though."

god i loved vanilla lattes. but no, i won't give into it. i've been rude and i don't even want to hang out with him, i'd feel like garbage for wasting his money.

"yeah, i'm good." i told her. she doesn't seem convinced. i groaned, picking myself up from the booth and heading toward the door.

a grab of my shoulder stops me from reaching the destination. using the heel of my foot, i turned around, the boy standing sheepishly, "h— hey, uh .. i'm darryl and i just.. you're my neighbor, right?" he asked hopefully. i nodded, realizing i didn't need to feel threatened because he looked more scared to talk to me than i was to him, "i'm sorry for that impression, i'm not actually like tha—"

"i have to go." i told him. i'm stubborn. "thanks for the offer of coffee."

"please take it up." he practically is on his knees. "i don't really like vanilla lattes, anyway. i just want to explain myself, that's it. it won't take long."

and i stared at him. partially to think, but mostly to see how desperate he'd get for my attention. i enjoyed that. i craved that. "how long?"

"five minutes at maximum." he repeated quickly, "i swear it'll be over quickly."

the same boy who made my night a living hell two nights ago was standing here, begging for me to listen to him. i can't be mad, that's stupid. i let him off for that night. i'd let him have that stupid party in peace. tonight, i'd be contributing to that restlessness. not on my own will, though.

"okay," it came out in a whisper, and he looked relaxed, "thank you."

while walking to the booth, i asked, "what did you say your name was?"