03

this chapter is best read while listening to...

DISCONNECTED by 5 SECONDS OF SUMMER

-

Luke slipped his coat on and zipped up his overnight bag. He bounded down the steps and kissed his mum on the cheek before heading out of his own home and to Michael's.

It was 40 degrees out and by the time Luke arrived at Michael's, he was freezing his bum off. He knocked on his friend's door hastily and he almost immediately answered, ushering him in.

"You must be so cold." Michael frowned tightly, sitting Luke down and wrapping a blanket around his shoulders. He hustled to the kitchen and retrieved the hot mug of tea he had made minutes previous. "My parents won't be home until tomorrow afternoon, I hope you don't mind."

"I-I don't mind." Luke shivered. He sipped the hot tea and closed his eyes, taking in the warmth. "Thanks for the t-tea."

"Did you bring your textbook and binder?" Michael asked.

Luke nodded, drinking the tea a little bit faster now. "I'm warming up. I left my phone at home, I didn't think I would need it. Is that okay?"

The two had become very dependent on actual communication. Writing letters really helped them be on their phones and computers less. It had taught them that there was so much more than a screen.

"Yeah, mine's been dead for almost a week now." Michael shrugged and laughed lightly. "I don't really use it anymore."

"That actually reminds me, I wrote a song the other day." Luke smiled. "I brought the chords and lyrics with me, I figured you could play and I could sing. But first, we have to start the tutoring."

"On that note, what's our first lesson, Mr. Clifford?"

-

"I think that's enough English for one night." Michael sighed and closed the textbooks. "We can pick up tomorrow if you want."

"Yeah, tomorrow will work." Luke yawned. "Let's go upstairs so I can sing you the song!" He swung his bag over his shoulder and grabbed Michael's hand, leading him upstairs and into the music room.

It used to be a guest bedroom, but Michael had begged and begged his parents for permission to make it into his personal music room. They finally agreed and a month later, the room was completely transformed. Green Day and Blink 182 posters covered the walls, almost every inch. There were three guitars, a keyboard, and bongos.

"I love this room so much." Luke marveled in amazement as he entered. "It's just so..."

"Us?" Michael chuckled, picking up the guitar and plopping down on the sofa. "Give me the chords please and I'll start. You can sing."

Luke handed him the sheet of slightly crumbled paper. He sat down beside Michael, leaning over his shoulder to see the lyrics. The beautiful sound of the guitar filled his ears.

Hands around my waist
You're counting up the hills across the sheets
And I'm a falling star
A glimmer lighting up these cotton streets
I admit I'm a bit of a fool for playing by the rules
But I've found my sweet escape when I'm alone with you

Tune out the static sound of the city that never sleeps
Here in the moment on the dark side of the screen

I like the summer rain
I like the sounds you make
We put the world away
We get so disconnected
You are my getaway
You are my favorite place
We put the world away
Yeah we're so disconnected

"That's awesome, Luke." Michael finished strumming and smiled brightly. "I love the lyrics. Did you write it about us?"

Luke cleared his throat awkwardly and Michael continued. "I mean, how we've been writing letters and all rather than texting or whatever."

"Oh..." He smiled back. "Yeah, that was on my mind. I like writing letters much more than texting because I can tell what mood you were in while you wrote that letter. If your handwriting is sloppy, I can tell you might be upset or angry or in a rush. If it's bubbly and big, I can tell you're happy."

"Agreed." Michael nodded. "Can I try singing some of it?"

"Go for it."

Turn off the radio
Those late night TV shows
Hang up the telephone
And just be here with me

I like the summer rain
I like the sounds you make
We put the world away
We get so disconnected
You are my getaway
You are my favorite place
We put the world away
Yeah we're so disconnected

"I know that we're friends again, Luke..." Michael leaned his guitar against the wall and laid on the sofa. "But we should still write letters. I like it."

"I like it, too." Luke grinned and curled up on Michael's chest. "So yeah, we can still write letters."

But I've found my sweet escape... when I'm alone... with you. 

-

A/N

I got really excited about this update so I posted it earlier than I meant to oh well

Edited July 2019