Chapter 11

Adora backed her car back onto the main road. Going by the number of missed calls on her phone, she had at least an hour before her parents would call for a missing person's report. Adora shrugged at the thought. This wouldn't take long.

 She drove to Catra's neighborhood and finally found her apartment. It had only the bare essentials, a window, a mini-fridge, and a mattress. Adora pushed past the sorry sight and went to the closet. Besides her uniforms, a soft pink sweater lay on the floor. Catra had snatched it from Adora's closet only two days prior. It seemed so long ago. Adora fumbled through a tiny purse until she found what she wanted.

The head to her doll. Catra really had it, after all this time.

Adora laughed, burying her face into the sweater. It smelled like Catra, jasmine, and dirt from the woods. Now, she could continue her drive.

As her house became easier to see in the distance, Adora felt her tears bubble up. At first, she wanted to push them down. But she knew there was no use. She had truly lost someone that day, and the pain was raw and true.

Adora clipped her hair back and got out of her car. She knocked on the front door, before letting herself in.

"I'm home!" She managed to holler.

Her mother quickly ran to her, shielding her with a strong embrace. Her tired eyes glistened with sympathy.

Adam and her father, however, stood by the sofa, unmoved. Adam still reeked from the arena.

"Listen, Adora,-

"Adam. For the love of Ethieria!" Adora's mom wiped her head around in disbelief.

He continued.

"I did what had to be done for Brightmoon. It wasn't to spite you." He said, matter-of-factly.

Adora shrugged.

Adam's face grew red. " Don't be selfish, Adora. Did you really want that monster around our family?"

Adora looked up at him coldly, stepping away from her parents.

"That monster was my girlfriend, you asshole."

Adam's face dropped. He reached his hand out. It was still tinted red.

Blood red.

"Don't fucking touch me." Adora hissed, before running into her room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You're so pretty, Adora" Catra giggled, playing with Adora's hair in the bathroom of Brightmoon Mall.

Adora tried hard to conceal her blushing. "Are you crazy? You're so much prettier than me."

Catra stuck her tongue out. "At least you don't have mutant eyes."

Catra had heterochromia. Her left eye shone a baby blue, her right a strange hazel color.

Despite Catra's complaints, Adora found them absolutely mesmerizing.

"Seriously Catra, you are beautiful." Adora smiled.

Catra raised an eyebrow. "Okay Blondie, maybe Adam's exercises are too much for your brain to handle."

Adora shrugged.

Catra leaned closer. "What's wrong, Adora? You love the mall."

This was a lie. Adora loved being with Catra at the mall.

Adora squirmed, before kissing Catra. She pulled away quickly. A thousand thoughts raced within her.

Panic. What if Catra doesn't feel the same?

Worry. What if she hates me now?

Embarrassment. That was terrible. What was I thinking?

Catra sat on the edge of the sink and kissed Adora back. Music blared over them. Everything was new and heightened, if not sloppy and terrible.

"Look at us. The ultimate power couple." Catra teased.

The girls laughed at themselves in the mirror, before linking hands.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------