Chapter 6: Peach Blossoms

Ajisai no Himitsu
Chapter 6: Peach Blossoms

Sigh...

I could be wrong. I should stop thinking about that...

I started off the engine and for the last time looked outside the window. She was staring at me and smiling while she waved her hand.

"Thank you, Momo-kun! Drive safely!" She said.

Those simple words never failed to make my heartbeat faster. She always does. Her simple words, actions, even her facial expressions... I loved it all.

I don't know why... But she's the only girl that could affect me like this. I've tried going out with many different girls -- trying to figure out why. I dated all kinds of girl you could ever imagine. But no one except her had ever made me feel this way.

I didn't even know when or how it started, it just felt this way through time. Maybe because she was someone who can see through me and understands me more than anyone. We have known each other for decades and she was someone I could talk to about anything without getting the tense, awkward atmosphere. She makes me feel comfortable with even just her presence... I wanted to be with her all the time, is that too much to ask?

I tightened the grip on the steering wheel and sped up. I'm thinking weird thoughts again. I need to shrug this feeling off...

**********************

"Jonishi-san, did my daughter give you a hard time when I was away?" Sayaka's father asked Kei jokingly. They were now hanging out at the living room after they had their lunch. "I heard from Ayaka that you've been helping her out a lot at work."

There was a light atmosphere as they talked, but it didn't really made Kei feel less nervous as she was now talking to her girlfriend's father. Sayaka glanced at her with a reassuring smile which somehow gave her a sense of relief. She smiled at the man and jokingly replied, "I don't think I did too much for Sayaka-san. She usually does all the hard work herself. But she does ask for a few cups of coffee a day."

They all bursted laughing at her remark. Sayaka blushed a bit and gave her a teasing glance. "I can't help it, Jonishi-san makes good coffee."

"I could not disagree with you there." remarked her father which made Kei blush. "Anyways, where is Kinoshita going? Why is he in a hurry?"

"Perhaps, another marriage interview?" answered Sayaka as she sipped on her cup. "He frequently attends marriage interviews these past months."

"Well, you couldn't blame his parents. They must be anxious with whom he will end up with in the future. He's the heir of their clan so they are very careful with making extra preparations." The father said and looked at Sayaka suddenly. "Perhaps I should go prepare interviews for you as well..."

"Please no, dad. It's not yet part of my plans to get married soon." Sayaka replied sternly. "Leave that out of your business. I can handle that sometime in the future." She continued, reassuring her father.

"I can't help it. You always work to the bone and barely has free time to meet people." Her father jokingly said. "But, if you say so, then I wouldn't have a stand against it."

"You're spoiling her too much, Dad!" Ayaka butted in the conversation. "She might end up alone, you know!"

Sayaka just lightly chuckled at Ayaka's remark and replied, "You should believe in your sister more, Ayaka."

************************

Meanwhile, Kinoshita Momoka has been driving for almost thirty minutes now. There's a heavy traffic ahead and he might possibly be late for the sudden appointment his father told him about. Upon hearing his cellphone rang, he immediately answered and a loud voice asked him of his whereabouts and also giving sermons regarding punctuality. Momoka did his best to explain the situation and reassured his father that he will try to look for an alternate route as the traffic wouldn't get better any time soon.