Part 15

The sun rose the next day, warming the Earth and ocean for the first time in months. Mers rose from the icy ocean to watch the sun rise, and humans fell to the snow and sobbed in relief. Children watched their parents as they finally cleared the snow and showed them that there was more than snow on the ground.

Ice began to drip from the trees and roofs of the living as the silver light of the sun finally returned to them. Those in the frozen north woke to the sun for the first time in months and wept, and those who lived in the corners of the ocean seemed to let out cries of joy for the return of the distant sun.

However, this did not mean that everything went back to normal, for food did not grow over night, and couldn't with Holly deep in recovery. This did not stop the farmers from clearing away the slush to reap and sew crops onto the earth with what little bundles of seeds they kept over the bitter winter.

Some say that the farmers came together and shared what they had, and helped their kin clear the snows from the fields and shatter the thick ice from the ponds and rivers so their mills could begin to work.

There were some children who cried, not for the beginning of the snow, but the end of it. For this meant that there would be no more snowball fights or sledding. They however didn't understand the pain that came from the endless snow, and no one expected them to.

The spirits came to the palace of the goddesses, pleading to help with rebuilding the land, and they were granted permission into the gardens, where fruits and vegetables seemed to grow overnight with Holly's return. They cut open the many crops and spread the seeds across the sky, where they fell into the melting earth and would grow in time.

Solaria walked among the living, handing to those who were sick and hungry food and herbs for healing, and in return comforted those who fell at her feet or those who shouted at her. She would leave in the early dawn and return late into the night.

Redbeard was among the spirits who plucked the harvest from the garden and delivered it to those under the sea. Where he watched his daughter help her people rebuild the seas and request trade from other kingdoms. He could see that his three grandchildren,

Red Fang, Gold Tail, and the oldest Sapphire, had only hatched a week prior. Seeing them nuzzled in their nest of kelp and cloudweed, safe and warm as the world began to heal under the guidance of his kin, Cloud the Clever, whose inventions would prevent others from suffering in snow as others had in the Bitter Winter, made him feel at peace somewhat and made the stars outlining his frame shimmer fondly.

When Solaria had moments of peace, she would spend them watching over Holly. And when Solaria was gone, Redbeard watched over her, cleaning the wound on her chest where it finally started to heal over where a shard of the arrow would remain, unmovable, try as they may.

Holly would be weak but smiling and kind as Redbeard cared for her. Bringing her tea mixed with herbs and telling her what she wanted to know.

"The sun is beautiful," Holly croaked through a sip of her tea, "Solaria did well."

Redbeard fluffed her pillows, "Ah, and that she did. Not bad for not being able to do it in several months. How is your chest, my goddess?"

Holly placed her hand over the bandage, "My chest is fine, my soul on the other hand is...well, it will ache for a long time to come, I'd expect. The arrow went deep and I expect the wound will have some lasting effects."

"We are just glad to see you alive, my goddess..." Redbeard murmured, "We've missed you terribly."

This earned the only smile Redbeard saw from Holly through that month, as she murmured, "I've missed you all too, Redbeard. Please, just call me Holly. I know your name and you know mine, so let us not act so stiffly towards each other, yes?"