Chapter IX - Hunger

What did Jonathan think of the lessons? Naturally, he wasted no opportunity to show off Adilah's improvement, thanking it to his impeccable teaching, proving to the others that he did learn from previous teaching trials. He asked all the others to witness some of their lessons (which both embarrassed and flattered Adilah). The others nodded their agreement to how much Jonathan's teaching has improved and gave Adilah genuine compliments and congratulations on her success. Well, all except Joah, of course. With every improvement, every boasting proclamation, his scowl seemed to grow deeper.

This did not go unnoticed, and one night, after going over tactics and reports with the commander of the army, Jonathan turned to Joah when they were alone and said,

"Alright, what's up your arse?"

"Nothing."

"Don't take me for a fool, Joah. The closer we get to this plan, the more frustrated you seem to get. I know the plan is terrible but it's the best we've got. Unless you have any ideas?"

Jonathan had moved closer to him and could see his nose flare slightly as he tried to suppress his emotions.

"No, I don't have another plan. But I fail to see why she has to be part of it. We can easily do it without her. We are wasting our time by putting so much effort into training her." I don't think I need to elaborate on who Joah was referring to.

"For crying out loud Joah, we need as many people as we can for this!"

Joah just whirled on him and grabbed him by the shoulders,

"Tell me you feel it too. She isn't normal. We thought she was an ordinary human but even you can sense that there's something unnatural ...wrong about her, right?"

Silence descended. Then, with a heavy sigh, Jonathan admitted,

"Yes. I've been getting this feeling ever since I met her. Something about her isn't exactly magical, but it isn't mortal either. I can't explain it."

Lowering his arms, Joah asked the question Jonathan didn't want to think about,

"Then why keep her? Why take the risk of having something that's unknown at this time of war? What could possibly be the benefits?"

More silence; this time broken by Joah's derisive snort.

"What, my lord? Has she stirred your desires?" Joah stepped closer to Jonathan. "Does your body ache for hers?"

Even more silence lay in the room. Jonathan finally replied carefully, drawing out his answer,

"No ... but something is compelling me to keep her."

"What is it?"

"I don't know." Jonathan mumbled.

"What?"

"I don't know!" he said it clearer now, glaring at Joah.

"Well, that clears things up." Joah had a large, sarcastic smile on his face, "By all means let's put all our lives in the hands of the unnatural stranger who's giving us a bad feeling, because you want to bed her."

Jonathan was now seething, his fists clenched tightly at his sides, his blue eyes blazing with the heat of a thousand fires. Was every single one of his actions to be questioned?

"I believe I already told you that that is not the case! Besides, even if I were to bed her, what business would it be of yours? It would do you good to remember your place; you work for me, as does she. Have I made myself clear enough for you?!"

Joah's face retreated to its usual aloof expression, as still as stone, unmoving, impenetrable.

"You have made your point crystal clear, my lord," his voice was detached and as cold as ice, "what possible business would it be of mine? Do as you wish, for I cannot stop you – I am only a lowly servant after all. Now, if you'll excuse me, my lord."