Chapter IV - The House of Fear

Adilah didn't exactly know how to respond to that, so she merely put her sac on the bed that appeared unoccupied and sat down. The other girl, Letitia, was already moving out of the room. Left alone, Adilah felt more confused than ever. What was she expected to do?

You'd think the fact that everything seemed relatively normal so far would have eased her mind.

Letitia eventually came back, carrying a bucket filled to the brim with water and a mop.

"Come with me."

Adilah followed her out of the room and up the staircase to the first floor. A rug that had been clearly spread out in the corridor was now rolled up and pushed to the side. Handing Adilah the bucket and mop, Letitia didn't say a word as she grabbed a duster sitting on a table by the wall and went into one of the rooms.

Alright, Adilah thought, I guess I'm mopping.

As she worked, she surveyed the hallway. It was nothing too fancy (said the miller's daughter). The walls had decorative sconces holding torches, with a couple of low tables scattered between them. There were five rooms – two on the right and three on the left, and when she glanced to the western wing, it was identical. Again, she wondered, if he was a lord why he didn't have a more luxurious house.

Luxuries are fickle things, my dear reader, but ones you seem to think are undeniably essential.

Adilah soon realized that Letitia worked in absolute silence, only broken when she told Adilah what to do. By the end of the day, she had mopped the floor of the entire corridor on both sides of the staircase, as well as the ten rooms. The rooms had been sparsely furnished, similar to her own chamber downstairs. She wasn't unaccustomed to work, but her arms were terribly aching by the end. The sun had set, and someone had lit up all the lanterns around the manor.

Silently, she followed Letitia back down the stairs to a storage closet where she left the bucket and mop.

"Tomorrow, you'll mop up the second floor."

With that, Letitia left her standing there without another word. So much for making friends. Adilah didn't care about friends at that moment though; what she wanted was food. She hadn't eaten since the previous night and her stomach was practically starting to gnaw at itself. She began to roam around, looking for the kitchen when she almost walked into the large man with the tattoos.

"Oh, sorry! I didn't see you there-"

"Sorry, miss! Didn't see you-"

They both apologized at the same moment then stopped and smiled. The man wasn't as terrifying up close as she'd thought at first sight. His smile was quite sweet and warm. Suddenly, her nose flared at a most amazing aroma and she realized it was coming from the covered tray he was carrying. Her stomach let out a more than obvious growl and he raised an eyebrow.

"Would you like to know where the kitchen is?"

Another growl. "Maybe..."

Pointing to the door he came from, he said, "It's just through there. I made lamb stew. I'm just taking some up to the lord, then I'll be right down. Help yourself, though!"

Adilah walked into the kitchen and she could've sworn that lamb stew was made of something heavenly. Quickly finding a bowl and spoon, she scooped up some and began devouring it. The man walked in as she generously helping herself to seconds.

"You like it?"

"Like it? I don't think I've ever enjoyed eating this much!"

He let out a low chuckle and something inside her came loose at how light it sounded.