Maddy

Side Effect 2 :Self doubt

Chapter 7

Maddy groaned when the first ray of morning sunshine brushed her face, waking her. Her body was tired from the past two days, of just staying in bed with Lee. She felt lazy and satisfied but somehow she wanted more of Lee.There bodies were still entwined.They were spooning, naked. She stroked his arm slowly, waiting as he woke up. He kissed her forehead very gently.A feather light kiss, the sweetest kind of kiss, that a boy can give a girl and in that moment, Maddy felt that everything in the world is perfect. She felt complete.The contentment she felt is dangerous. It breeded illusions about her relationship with Lee. This jolted Maddy into feeling afraid. She desperately needed some space from Lee.She needed to feel nothing. These intense feelings, that she is starting to have is unwanted. Maddy knows that Lee could never feel the same way about her. This is just a summer fling for him, so she should make sure that he thinks, that this is just a summer fling for her too.

"Good morning, angelface", Lee yawned."Good morning you,", she said smiling. "We should go to the matric bonfire tonight in strand." The bonfire is a tradition that all students that have completed matric, at St Helen's perform annually, in the second week of December, to celebrate the end of school. There is a midnight gathering at strand beach. Students from all over cape town come to the beach. All school note books are then set alight with a huge pile of firewood. There are also some fireworks. Every matric student pitches for the celebration. "Are you sure that you want to go to the bonfire. Evan is going to be there.Are you ready to face him?Maddy looked sad as she leaned closer into him, so that she can feel the warmth of his body touch every inch of her body. She did not want to confront her relationship with Evan. The confusion of the lingering feelings that she had for Evan, is so confusing and messy. They could never go back to being childhood sweethearts, destined to be together. She had been so focused on being Evan s girlfriend and building her life around him. Now, she had to make choices that did not involve Evan. "I need to talk to him."We never ended things."

" Ockay, then we will go and celebrate the end of your schooling.""Lee, I dont want to think or talk about anything serious, so let's talk about something else."What are we planning for Christmas." "I miss grandma Rose. She makes the best Christmas lunch.", Maddy said to distract Lee, from seeing how anxious, she felt about seeing Evan. "It is just christmas, nothing to be excited about. I am probably working." "Lee Matthews, christmas is the most magical time of the year. Just because you were always on holiday, in some other country, does not mean that it is not special. Ma Rose always made sure that Christmases were special. She says that we must remember how blessed we are, to be loved, "Maddy said, with a tender look on her face, at the memory of her last christmas.Ma Rose made the most delicious gammon and corned beef.Evan gave her a heart pendant with the inscription" Be mine forever." " Mom and dad were never big on Christmas. You know when I was younger. I use to beg them to leave me with you and Ma Rose. I really wanted to know how it felt, but they would always take me with them. Dont get me wrong, it was amazing, seeing the world, but a family christmas, would have been something magical. We can do something special for christmas. "Maddy beamed at Lee, jumping on him making him fall backwards. Raining kisses on his face, making him smile.

Chapter 8
Youthful laughter filled the air with excitement . Lee and Maddy are sitting on a blanket, admiring the huge bonfire, in front of them. Surrounding them, are matriculants from other schools. Bonfires can be seen all over the beach front. Maddy resisted the urge to lean closer to Lee and rest her head on his shoulder. Evan has been watching them, since they arrived.He was hovering, making sure that he is close, to their spot on the beach. He is standing with a group of friends just a few steps away, to the right.Maddy's skin tingled with awareness of his closeness. How could she want Lee, but still feel this for Evan. Maddy wanted to run away. To not feel this mix of confusion and uncertainty. When she see's that Evan is making his way towards her. The nervous anticipation of the upcoming confrontation, is almost too much to bear.