T H I R T Y - F I V E

Alexa

In my uncle's class, I sat down, next to Jackson, per usual, with Michael and Elliot behind us. But what I didn't expect was for Ryder, Blake, and Ethan to take seats in front of us. Jackson threw me a questioning look of confusion, though I could only shrug in response. I had no idea why those three decided to sit close to us all of a sudden.

What the hell are they doing? I thought, wanting to ask it out loud but not having the guts to. Just because they're no longer bullying jerks to me, doesn't mean I want them near me. Heck, I'm not even sure if Blake changed, but he sure does look pissed. Though, I'm starting to think that that is a natural look for him.

"Alexa, what's going on?" Michael asked me in a terrible whisper.

I shrugged again. "I really do not know but I don't like this," I said, not caring if any of those three heard me. If they did, they certainly gave no sign and just pretended they didn't.

"Ryder apologized to me," I told Elliot, Michael and Jackson, "but we aren't suddenly best friends—"

"That's because we hold that title!" Michael interrupted me with a big, goody grin.

I smiled. "I can't deny what's true." I chuckled a little. Michael is so adorable.

"Wait, he apologized?" Elliot asked suddenly. "Did you at least forgive him?"

"Nope," I responded.

"I'm so proud." Jackson said, patting my head.

Ryder turned around in his seat. "Excuse me, but we are trying to learn something," he claimed.

"R-Mr. Haynes isn't even teaching yet," I said flatly. "Mind your own business.... please."

Ryder rolled his eyes and faced forward, talking in hush whispers with Blake and Ethan. I couldn't be bother to listen close enough to what they were saying, because I didn't care one bit.

"Okay, class quiet down," Ryan said. "Miss. Hart, I would like to speak with you after class." And then he began teaching us about historic things.... which made perfect sense since this is history class after all.

I wonder what he wants to talk about, I thought.

***

After class, I told the boys to go ahead, as usual, and they did. I approached Ryan, wondering what I had or hadn't done.

"Ah, Alexa." Ryan smiled and for some reason it looked... sad. Oh my god, did Andrew end up dying? Is that what he wanted to talk to me about? Or are they taking him off of life support and he's about to be dead?

"It's bad news, isn't it?" I asked sadly.

"I wouldn't necessarily say that," Ryan said, causing me to suck in my breath. Does that mean that Andy is still okay? "Erm, well, I'll just go ahead and say — Dylan told me about your situation."

My eyes widened. "What, he did? But that was suppose to be between us!" I said.

Please don't call CPS... cause than I'll more likely go to another school. I have amazing friends that I don't want to lose, and an uncle. My twin brother and my unborn half brother. I don't want to leave!

"It's not a bad thing that he told me, okay?" Ryan said. "How would you like to live with me and Malissa and Dylan? We're planning on getting custody of you. How do you feel about that?"

"D-Does that mean that I still get to go to school here?" I asked softly, biting my lip in anticipation.

"Yes, you can still come to school here," Ryan answered.