Part four: Dance with the devil

Cole's POV

By the time I was running through the woods, the sun had already spilled down the horizon and the sky had turned a mesmerizing blackish purple, sprinkled with small glimmering dots of white, blue, and purple.

The only sounds were my heavy footsteps on the soft pines and the hooting of an owl far off. I eventually slowed, breathing heavily, clutching my fists and looking around. Still nothing.
I leaned against a nearby tree, running a hand through my raven black hair. Catching my breath, I looked up. Through the thick canopy you could just make out the outline of the half full moon.

I shivered, pulling the sleeves of my gi as far over my hands as I could without ruining the carefully sewn fabric. 'Jeez, it's cold out here.' I thought, lowering my gaze from the sky.

And there he was.

Standing in that white cape, holding the shurikens. But now, finally, I could see his eyes. They caught my breath and made my heart skip a beat. The low light of the moon just caught them and made them shimmer like they were dusted with glitter. They were as blue as the sky and layered like a diamond. I couldn't help but stare.

But in a quick movement, the guy changed to a more defensive pose, clutching the weapons he held. "You've been looking for me." He said. His voice was chilling, ice cold. But smooth as the wind.

I gulped, shifting slightly. "I want to know who you are. Your like us." My tone sounded accusing but also curious. This was my one chance, I didn't want him to bolt off.

"Us?" The boy looked past the tree I leaned against and around us. "You mean the two other people with you on that city rooftop." He stated, halfway between just that and a question. His eyes narrowed to small slits, turning dark.

"Show me what you can do." I said, taking a pace towards him, peeling my back away from the rough bark.

He quirked an eyebrow. "You want to fight?" I hesitated for a split moment before nodding, smirking.

Neither of us moved for a few moments, dead silent. If he wasn't going to move, I would. In a quick movement, I retrieved the scythe from my back and swung it down. The ground rattled, sending a few birds in a nearby tree squawking and flying off. The boy stumbled slightly, nearly falling. He tilted one of his shurikens and threw it towards me.

I looked down. The shuriken had landed by my foot and dug into the ground. Snorting, I looked back up at him. "You missed me, I'm up here."

The boy smirked. "If my calculations are correct, no I did not." Confused, I looked down. My entire foot and ankle was wrapped up in a solid block of ice, which was creeping up my leg and spreading to the other. I was stuck.

Growling, I leaned forward and swung the golden weapon I carried at his legs. Right before they came in contact, the figure jumped up, narrowly avoiding the blow that would have sent him tumbling. With a swoosh, I grabbed onto the scythe again with both hands. The ice had reached my knees by now. Within a few minutes I would be completely frozen.

"I sense you aren't feeling as well about this quarrel as you were before." The boy said, his eyes wide again and shimmering. He walked over, clutching the other silver shuriken.

"This way!" A familiar charming voice echoed through the trees, close. The boy grimaced and took a step closer, face just a bit away from mine. So close I could make out every detail of his face and feel his icy breath.

"I want to know more about you." And with that, he ducked down, ripped the shuriken out of the ground, and ran off, vanishing into the thick trees. I tried moving my legs but even with the shuriken gone, the ice stayed.

Not a minute after, Kai and Jay exploded out of the trees, covered in leaves and pine. Turning my body to the best of my ability to look at them over my shoulder, I could tell they looked pretty confused.

"Jeez Cole, What happened to you?" Kai questioned, walking over. Jay wasn't far behind, wearing an amused expression.

"Shut it, get me out of here." I snapped. My legs were numb and I was shivering. I couldn't feel anything below my knees, a horrible thought. Rolling his eyes, Kai melted the ice and stepped back.

With my legs free, I dropped to the ground, sitting and sighing. Getting the memo that we weren't moving soon, Kai and Jay both sat down.

"Wanna explain what that was? Is this where you've been going every day for the past three weeks?" Jay quizzed, his tone sharp with accusation. I didn't know how to reply, mouth frozen shut. Usually I would have a quick retort or something, but not this time.

"We've been worried about you. You weren't like this! What happened to you? Is that guy getting to your head?" Kai asked. Now I could tell his and Jay's expressions were more worried than mad.

"He's- I don't know guys." I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I guess so.. i just want to know who he is!" I stood up, grabbing my scythe and hurling it at a tree. The tip dug into the tree and it stayed in place.

Zane's POV

I stood not too far off from where the other three were, crouching behind a wide cedar. Peeking over, through the trees and brush I could make the three figures out.

"What are you talking about? We don't need another person. Sensei trained us, why do you want another person so bad?" I couldn't make out what the other two were saying but I could hear him loud and clear. He was silent for a few moments, probably listening to one of the other two.

"No, he's just some weirdo in the woods." He was quiet. "Yes.. he does. But still!" Again, silence. This time longer than both the other times. "Fine."

And with that, the three boys walked off, vanishing from view.

[1047 words]