Part eight: Accidents happen

Cole's POV

I grabbed my scythe on the way out, nearly tripping over Jay who gave me a 'what the fuck man?' look. I smiled apologetically and raced out. It was if the ground didn't exist below my feet, as if I was flying.

Because of this burning excitement, I reached the ground in record speed. Chest heaving up and down, I slowed to a halt near the base of the winding steps. The best bet I had now was to visit a small forest village not too far from here: ask around if anyone had seen the boy. Sucking in a deep breath, I clutched my scythe and continued on.

By the time I reached the village, I was winded. Pressing a hand against a nearby pine, I panted, chest rising and falling quickly. But soon enough I caught my breath and slid the golden weapon behind my back, walking calmly into the village. I knew Sensei sometimes visited to buy tea or fruits or something like that, but other than that I didn't know anything. Me and Kai and Jay had gone on a mission once here, when the little brat Lloyd had been screwing around trying to get free stuff. Of course we taught him a lesson and he went running.

A few of the townsfolk risked me glances. Some looked scared or intimidated, or some looked curious or suspicious, some even frowned. But not a single person smiled or waved. No one seemed happy. Even a couple of kids kicking a ball back and forth wore simple, neutral expressions.

Eventually pushing the light oak door open to the tiny library, I slipped inside. The single room had about 5 shelves and was lit by a dull yellow lamp hanging from the ceiling and a few candles. The burning wax made the room smell funny. So sweet it stung your tongue and tasted bitter and sour. My face changing into one of disgust from the overwhelming smell which made my stomach turn, I approached a redhead sitting at the desk. She pushed her glasses up on her nose and looked up at me through them. "Welcome to the Yin library, how can I help you?" Her tone was just as sweet as the candles which I now noticed left a thin layer of smoke near the ceiling. One cracked window let a sliver of it out, but it didn't help much.

"Um.. Im wondering if you've seen a boy running around alone around here?" I asked. The girl didn't do anything apart from blink, staring at me with an orangish gaze. "He's about this tall.." I said, reaching a hand out flat to show his slightly-taller-than-me height. "Titanium blonde.. diamond blue eyes..?" The girl flinched, worry immediately painting itself over her face. She quickly stood, pushing a few books around on the desk. "Uh- um.. Fei!" She screeched suddenly, making me take a pace back. I had two options here:

Run out and look for him myself.

Or,

Stay here and possibly learn valuable information.

The first option seemed like the better of the two, but I needed to see if these people knew anything. I wanted him back. Needed him back.

Another woman, much older, appeared between two bookshelves. She wore a fox fur scarf around her neck and a brownish amber dress with pink flowers. "Another jumper?" While her appearance looked late forties, maybe early fifties; her voice sounded more like she was in her early seventies.

The girl that was around my age nodded quickly, fiddling with the hem of her puffy jacket. I took a few paces back, soon meeting one of the wood walls against my back. I tried to reach out to the doorknob near me, but my arm was quickly swatted away by who I could only assume was 'Fei.'

"Your not leaving just yet, filthy jumper." She growled, similar to a fox or wolf. "Feng." She said simply. The girl nodded in the corner of my eye and before I knew it, my legs buckled and I collapsed to the floor.

Jay's POV

"Where do you think Cole ran off to?" I asked, sitting on the couch sideways, legs sprawled over Kai who sat normally. Both of us held bulky, black remotes, eyes glued to the TV.

Kai didn't reply for a moment. I could see his gaze flick to the side before back at the TV. He shrugged lamely. "Not sure. Probably just going to cool off." He replied.

I narrowed my eyes slightly. Just as he had replied, his character slammed mine against the ground, prompting my side of the screen to turn a light red and 'GAME OVER, PLAYER 1 WINS' to show up across the entire screen. Groaning, I threw my hands down against my lap, letting go of the remote. "I'm supposed to be the one good at video games, when did you get so good?"

He shrugged, more calmly lowering his remote, a smirk prominent on his lips. I stare at him for a few minutes before looking back at the screen. He was already exiting the round and heading back to the start up menu.

"1v1 again?" He asked, glancing over at me but not moving his head from facing the TV.

I shook my head. "No. You'll just beat me like you have, like, 3 times already."

"5 times exactly, and one draw." He stated matter-of-factly, even going as far to point one finger up and wag it back and forth. Growling, I tossed my remote to the wood floor and launched myself at him.

He let out a surprised yelp as I crashed into him, shoving him off the couch and to the floor. Now kneeling where he was a moment ago, I smiled down at him. He frowned at me, before smiling and rolling his eyes, unable to suppress his amusement.

"Here." I said, extending a hand to help him up.

"Thanks, bluebird." He replied. But instead of using me to pull himself up, he yanked me down to the floor. By some crazy coincidence, I landed funky and clipped the edge of the coffee table with my head.

Letting out a screech of pain, I immediately pressed both hands to my forehead, just above my right eye, sinking down to my knees.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry Jay, are you alright?" Kai spoke quickly, wrapping his arms around me. I didn't reply, pain shooting through my forehead and down my face.

"Jay.." he spoke, now in a serious tone. I could feel his hands lock onto mine, pulling them away. When I looked down, my hands were coated in crimson. Slowly reaching a finger up, I touched against the spot, feeling thick blood welling out of my skull.

"Stay here for a minute, okay? I'll be right back." He quickly stood, rushing off.

He returned a minute or two later, clutching a damp cloth. Dropping to his knees in front of me with a quiet thud, he moved my hands which had again moved to clutch my head. He pressed the cloth against my forehead.

I immediately let out a yelp, flinching away from the fabric. "Hey, hey, hey," he spoke quickly. "It's okay. We don't have any bandage left so we'll have to go get some, alright?" He asked me. I slowly nodded, standing as he did. Feeling him slowly let go of the cloth, I quickly grabbed it and kept it against my forehead. The pain had eased a bit but still stung badly.

"Come on, let's get going now before it gets dark. And before that gets infected."

[1279 words]