Part seven: Driving us insane

Jay's POV

I yawned, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. My room was bright with light, the blinds tilted to let in slices of blinding white light. Small particles of dust danced in the air, catching the light and giving the room almost a mystical look.

The first thing I noticed was Kai passed out in an armchair I had in my room, head back and breathing even. Me and him had been casually chatting during the storm last night until the early hours of the morning and I guess he hadn't bothered to leave. Stretching my arms over my head, I smiled faintly at the pop of them. Swinging my legs to the side, I stepped onto the freezing pale wood of my floor and exited the room, careful to close the door quietly behind me.

As soon as I exited my room, I could hear faint murmuring from the dining room. Curious, I carefully walked down the hall, keeping my footsteps light to not alert whoever was talking. Peeking around the corner, I spotted Cole sitting on one of the benches of the table. On the other side, with his back to me, was the guy. Mr. Mysterious. Cole was smiling and the other guy was laughing, presumably at a joke Cole told.

Shifting slightly, my foot slipped to the side and the floor squeaked. Cole immediately looked up, a surprised expression crossing his face as he spotted me. "Oh, morning Jay.. you can come in here you know." Having my cover blown, I straightened my posture and walked into the room properly. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see the pale boy look over at me, expression curious. I slid into the bench beside Cole, folding my hands in my lap.

"Jay, this is Zane." Cole introduced him. "Zane, this is Jay."

"Pleasure to meet you." 'Zane' replied curtly, flashing a small smile to me before looking back at Cole. I didn't reply, staring dead cold at the boy.

"Is Kai awake? Your up early." Cole asked, turning his body slightly to look over at me. I shook my head, biting my lip to not spit out a reply. Cole's brow furrowed into a look of worry. "Are you okay?"

Tightening my grip on my hands, I let out a breath. "Why is he here?" I asked, glancing across the table at the boy, then back at Cole.

"I invited him. We- I was thinking he could join us." Cole replied simply. "I thought you wanted him to join us as well?"

"Yes but!- Well maybe instead of making a decision like that, you should try and approach me and Kai or Sensei first! We're a team, remember?" I snapped at him.

Cole, clearly confused and a bit shocked, didn't reply for a few minutes. "I already knew you guys were okay with it, you yourself said you wanted to know if there were others out there like us, so why would I have to ask permission?" His voice was calm but I could tell he was on the edge, seething underneath the neutral expression.

"Because we're a team, smart ass! We should do things together, that's how it's always been." I growled, standing up, fists clenched at my sides.

Cole stood after me, facing me, expression now changing to something sour. He flicked one of his pointer fingers up, pressing it against my chest. "Listen Jay. You can keep saying whatever BS you want, but he's here and he's going to stay."

I grabbed his hand, shoving it away from me in disgust. "We have an extra room, it's not like he'll have to share a room with one of us!" Cole snarled, hand returning to his side. I could see his expression go from mad to regretful, mouth parted just slightly, eyes out of focus. "I'm sorry Jay, okay?" He blinked, looking at me and placing a hand on one of my shoulders.

"You wouldn't dare touch her room." I said, voice hardly over a whisper, barely audible in the quiet room. I turned and stormed off, shoving one of the monastery doors open and letting it slam shut.