Chapter 4 - Meeting the Parents

"That's weird." Emiko said while walking to Saiki's house.

'What's weird?'

"I don't think my parents ever knew anyone with Saiki as a last name. Do you think they met today and just totally hit it off?"

'It's very likely. My mother is notorious for inviting people she barely knows over at our house.'

"I'm guessing you don't appreciate that. Not even a little bit."

'You know me better than Nendou or Kaido already.'

"Good enough to be your friend?" She asked jokingly.

'Why do people like to be my friend so badly?'

"Well, excuse me, Mr Popular." She said with a small laugh only to be met with a little glare from the strawberry headed boy. "I'm kidding!  There's just something about you, I guess." 

'Something about me?'

"Yeah.  Maybe something about your cold personality that makes people wanna warm it up."

In true Saiki fashion, he didn't respond.  His silence made Emiko panic, wondering if she said anything wrong.

"Did I offend you? I'm so sorry! I suppose I can be a bit blunt."  She said burying her face in her hands. 'I just wanted to be friends.'  She thought to herself.

'I don't really need friends.  You attract enough attention as it is. You also have the tendency to be a bit loud.'

"HEY-" Emiko said loudly, wondering simultaneously if she voiced her thoughts out loud.

Saiki just looked at her as if to prove his point.

"Yeah... All right. But somehow your refusal makes me wanna bother you more."

'That's called harassment.'

"Oh shut up." She said with a laugh and stuck her tongue out to mock him.

'Such a child.' He told her as he continued walking.

"Hey, Gramps! Maybe you need a cane? I can look for one." She said jokingly.

'Go make friends with the other kids your age.'

"Oh if I'm such a child, I shall bother you like so." She went in front of Saiki and started walking backwards. "Are we there yet?"

'No.'

"Are we there yet?"

'No.'

"Are we there yet?"

Saiki just walked past her and ignored her.

"Are we there yet?"

'Yes.' He opened the gate for her allowing her to walk first. 'Children first.' He said.

"Ooooh! Another joke. I'm feeling lucky today." She smiled as she made her way to the front door.

'Yare yare.' Saiki shook his head and opened the front door with his hands because he couldn't let her know he had powers.

"Ku!" "Emi!" Both sets of parents exclaimed at the same time.

"Oh you're both friends? That's wonderful!" Saiki's mother Kurumi said.

"I suppose it's fate when little Emi told me she was hanging out with her friends! Never thought your son was one of them! What a nice thing!" Emiko's mother Ena exclaimed.

"Ena! You didn't tell me your daughter was so pretty!" Kurumi said.

"And you didn't tell me your son is just so adorable! Look at those hairclips!" Was the reply.

While the two mothers were gushing over each other's children, Emiko and Kusuo shared a look. 'So hyper.'

"Ku! This is Emiko's father Eito!" Kusuo's father Kuniharu said.

Saiki kept his nonchalant face on and bowed slightly at the introduction.

"Good looking kid! I'm glad he didn't get his looks from you!" Emiko's father joked. "This is my little Emiko."

"Eito! What an angel she is. I don't think she got her looks from you either! Hahaha!" Kuniharu snarked back.

"Hahaha! What do you mean? I'm beautiful!" 

Bother fathers fell into laughing this time. Emiko and Kusuo share another look.

"You both ate already, no?" Kuniharu asked.

"Yes, Ma'am. Ramen and some dessert." Answered Emiko.

"Oh that's a pity. I have some delicious Mackerel cooking in the oven! It might be too much for us to finish!" She said dramatically.

"Oh yes, I smell it! It smells delicious, Ma'am! I hope you don't mind if I ate again?"

'She was just thinking in the cafe earlier how she full she was.' Thought Saiki.

'That mackerel smells divine.' Emiko thought.

"Oh yes please eat! Eat as much as you'd like. Oh I'm so excited to get to know you, Emiko! Your mom told me so much about you!"

'I'm sure she did.' She sighed. "All good things, I hope?" She said in good humour.

"Oh the best things! You're such a lovely girl. Oh, how I've always wanted to have a daughter!"

'Don't get any ideas.' Kusuo telepathically told his mother.

Kurumi smiled nervously. "Why don't you take a seat, Ena, Eito and Emiko! Oh you're all E's! Just like my family, we're all K's! I'll just get the food. Ku, dear, can you help me?"

"How fortunate was it that Kuru ran into Ena at the grocery earlier?" Kuniharu exclaimed.

'Not very.' Saiki thought rather sulkily. 'God's will perhaps.'

"Very! We just moved in and I was telling Ena that we needed to make friends this morning! God certainly has a way of making our lives better!"

"I agree!" Cried Kuniharu.

'I don't.' Thought Saiki in the kitchen.

"And look, even our children became friends!" Cried Ena.

After the food was served, both sets of parents were chatting lively 'Too lively' thought Saiki all throughout dinner. The table was filled with laughter with fathers making jokes, mothers talking about their blessings, of course Emiko, being way more energetic than Kusuo would chime in every now and then.

"Thank goodness you live so close!" Kurumi said after dinner. "You live two blocks away if I remember correctly."

"Yes, dear. It won't take us more than five minutes to get home." Ena said.

As the Hiro's were at the front door preparing to leave Eito thanked the Saiki's for having his family over. "Thanks so much for having us! We had a good time, didn't we, Ena?"

"Oh the best! It's the perfect way to feel welcomed in this town! Dinner was amazing!"

"You make me so happy when you say that!" Blushed Kurumi.

"We had a wonderful time. Thank you for having us Mr and Mrs Saiki and Kusuo of course." Emiko smiled.

"You're very welcome, dear! Come back any time you want! We loved having you! I'm sure Ku won't mind having a friend over!" She said.

'Yes, I will.' Kusuo told his mother. 'She's not my friend either.'

"Bye now! Take care on the way home!" Kurumi said ignoring her son.

As soon as the Hiros left, Kusuo sighed. 'The day has finally ended. All I want is peace from now on.'

But of course he won't get his way.