Chapter 31: Dark Reunion

"Kenji-kun?"

"Yes, Emiko?"

"How long have you been in here?"

"Hm... Seven years."

"Huuh? That long? Can't you leave?"

"I can try..."

"Then why don't you?"

"My family is very poor so I worked hard to get a good education. When they learned somehow that I had Mental Manipulation, they offered me a scholarship. At the beginning, everything was okay, but I started to hate it. Then they offered to pay my family well if I chose to work here. So against what my family wanted, I accepted so they could have a better life." He said looking at her intently with his golden eyes.

"I'm sorry for asking." Emiko said with glassy eyes "I wish I didn't bring up something so heavy."

"It's okay. It's a truth I chose to live with. I'm glad you're here with me. You made my time here a lot more pleasant." The purple haired boy answered with a smile.

"Do you ever want to escape one day?"

"Yes. When I'm strong enough, I will."

"Me too. Let's escape together with Mara." She said hopefully.

"Okay. I'd like that." He said patting Emiko's head. "If any of us have a chance to escape, promise that we must take it, okay?"

"Then what happens to the one left behind?"

"We must come back for them when we're strong enough."

"You promise you'll come back for me if I get left here?"

"Yes. I promise, Emiko." He said and kissed her forehead. The door to the room swung open.

"Tengoku. You're up." A gruff man said.

"What will you make me do?" Emiko asked fearfully as Kenji lay a hand of assurance on her shoulder.

"Don't worry. It will benefit you in the long run. Come." He said gently. Many in the facility had a soft spot for Emiko and it hurt them to see her scared for her life, but orders were orders and their families were threatened if they didn't do what they were told.

Emiko followed the man before taking one last look at Kenji who tried to give her an assuring smile. When they finally reached their destination, he ushered Emiko in only to be greeted by a big green haired man.

"S-sir." Emiko stuttered to announce her presence.

"Ah, you're here. Excellent excellent. Sit over there." He pointed to the a bed in the middle of the lab that was well lit. A few metres away, she saw her friend Mara unconscious on another lab table. Trembling for her life and Mara's, she did what she was told.

"You're compliant today, aren't you?" He said creepily. He approached her and put his hand to her face. "You're quite a beauty. Soon your beauty will be known throughout the world." He didn't expand with what he meant.

He took a vial with a red liquid and connected it to a syringe. "So very lucky." He muttered. "So very lucky that Mara is an O negative blood type. It can be easily transfused into yours." He said happily.

"What? That's Mara's blood?" She cried. "The more you take, the weaker she gets!"

"Don't think that we don't know what we're doing." He hissed. "This won't hurt a bit." He said as he injected blood into Emiko's resistant body.