The Hike

A/N: I included a map of Indiana where I would put Hawkins at for reference. Not my map

The gang sat silently outside of Mike's house, waiting for Mike and El to come outside. They had convinced their parents that they were going to Camp Know Where for a week, when in reality it was a summer camp and Dustin had been the only one who ever went. They had each gathered what supplies they could and packed enough clothes for a week. El had tracked the lab to a city not far from there, Fort Wayne, Indiana. Fort Wayne was about a 5 hour car ride, and probably a day's walk from Hawkins. They would be walking though, because Will didn't want to tell Nancy and forbid Will from telling Jonathan much to Will's protest.

"They're probably in there making out a few more times before they come outside" Lucas groaned, as Max punched his shoulder

"If you're going to complain this whole time then just go back home" Max said.

"Maybe I will, we all know Mike and El want to go on their own adventure, and save the world together." Lucas touted back.

"Will you guys quit it, you're just as bad as Mike and El in your own way" Dustin said "Me and my Suzie poo would never act this way."

Everyone laughed, breaking the tension a bit. Whether they wanted to admit it or not, they were all scared. On top of lying to their parents they were intentionally tracking down a man who was responsible for so many crimes against humanity. They needed each other to get through this, and the only one who hadn't been talking much was Will Byers.

Will was particularly anxious about lying to his mom, and even more so his brother who he had grown to trust more than anyone else, ever since he was lost in the upside down. He looked down at the walkie talkie in his hands and spoke again "Mike, come on, we've gotta go". He wasn't hurrying Mike and El along because he wanted them to, he had too, otherwise he might turn around and go home he was so afraid.

At that precise moment, El and Mike ran out of the house, holding hands as their backpacks swung behind them. "Alright, everybody ready?" Mike said, "We've got about a days hike from here, and enough money to rent a hotel room one night each way, thanks to Nancy's new job at the Hawkins Post" he smirked. He would pay her back, so it wasn't technically stealing.

The gang set out, the sun was beginning to set on the day, and the sky was smothered in pastel colors that made for a beautiful sunset. As El held on to Mike while they rode their bikes towards the woods, with the Wheeler house slowly disappearing behind them into the sunset, she couldn't help but wonder if this was the right choice. While El was lost in thought, Mike felt her mood change, so he took one hand off the handlebars and put it on El's leg, in an attempt to comfort her. As he did this she laid her head against his back and closed her eyes for a few moments, hoping to grab a bit of rest before reaching the woods.

Hopper's cabin laid untouched, not that anyone in the city would know it even existed. As they approached it and laid their bikes down they were reminded of their past, and everything that had happened that led them to this point. El walked up to one of the logs supporting the cabin and rubbed her hands against it.

Memories, she thought to herself. Whatever fear was left was erased, she had to do this.

She had to finish it.

While the gang sheltered their bikes away from the outside in a crawl space underneath the cabin, El sat on the steps of the porch.

"Hey, we're gonna finish this, okay?" Max said, walking up to El and putting her hand on her shoulder.

"We're all in this, together El." Lucas added as Dustin walked up and sat next to her.

Mike and Will looked at each other and smiled. Their friendship had been on the back burner for most of the year as Mike had spent it with El, but he knew that he couldn't do this without him, he was his best friend

As the sun's last light faded out of the sky, the group sat their, sharing a moment of peace and affection before gathering up their things and setting off into the woods. They would need to head north-east and made sure to bring along plenty of compasses, so they would know when they were close to the lab and where they were going.

They walked in pairs along the railroad, conversing amongst themselves about things like who could really have the highest score on Digg Dugg, while Dustin was cracking jokes on Lucas for having the worst Street Fighter score of them all. Mike and El walked hand in hand laughing, and occasionally adding to the conversation, but mostly just enjoying each others presence and enjoying being around the group again.

After walking for what felt like ages they stumbled upon a gas station off the path a little ways closer to the interstate. Mike decided to go in with El and Max who couldn't just pee outside like the rest of the guys, and they found out that they were about halfway to Fort Wayne, and there was a motel up the road just a little bit they could stay at. Mike secretly used some of his money to buy a pack of Eggo's from the freezer when the girls were in the bathroom, and he thanked the cashier for the information and walked out to meet the rest of the group.

"Guy says we're only about a mile away from a motel, I figure we can rest there for the night and finish the rest of the hike tomorrow, is that cool with everyone?" Mike said, already thinking of how they were going to split up beds. He had never had a room to himself with El but that seemed more and more apparent, he was almost grinning too hard at the thought.

"Fine by me" Lucas said

"Yeah me too" Dustin added, exhaustion apparent in both of their voices. Everyone else seemed to nod in unison, and they made their way to the motel which looked well kept for an interstate motel. Nothing like the movies and TV shows they had seen them depicted in.

As they headed towards the Motel, no one noticed the pair of eyes watching them from the tree line in the distance. Staring coldly at El, specifically, as she walked in to the building, with her hand in another taller boy's hand.

That was her, he thought to himself, no doubt about it.