Alexei's Rescue

When Murray and Joyce came to Murray's house, they saw that it was completely dark inside. 

"Do you think Alexei is in there?" Joyce whispered anxiously. 

"That's what Jim said." Murray replied. 

They stepped out of the car. Murray had Jim's gun by his side. 

"Maybe you should stay in the car, Joyce." Murray suggested. 

Joyce laughed. 

"Of course not! He's my friend too! I'm coming with you!" Joyce said, and Murray could tell by the tone of her voice that there was no arguing with her. 

"Alright." he said finally. 

They walked toward the house; it was quiet, their feet tapping softly on the pavement the only sound to be heard. 

They had reached the front door. 

Joyce looked at Murray. 'Be careful', her eyes said. He nodded and pushed the door open - it wasn't locked. 

Joyce suddenly saw a figure in the darkness. It was Alexei; he was tied to a chair, a piece of cloth tied around his mouth. Just as they approached their friend, they heard footsteps behind them. 

A deep, unfamiliar voice said something in Russian. Joyce didn't understand Russian, but she knew that Murray did. Quickly, Murray spun around on his heels, hitting the intruder on the side of his head with the gun. The man fell to the floor, unconscious. They heard more footsteps. Joyce heart pounded violently in her chest. 

"Get Alexei and get out!" Murray said. 

Joyce ran to Alexei's side, untied his wrists and removed the piece of cloth around his mouth. 

She suddenly heard more voices speaking in Russian. Angry voices. They were coming down the stairs. There was no time to waste. Alexei was hurt, so they helped him out the door and ran toward the car. The three of them got in, their hearts beating out of their chests. 

"Hurry!" Joyce cried, while Murray fumbled with the key in the ignition. 

Joyce glanced toward the house. She saw three dark, tall figures in the doorway. 

At last the ignition sputtered and they drove away, as fast as the car could go. 

"Are you okay, Alexei?" Joyce asked, looking to Alexei who was sitting in the back seat. 

"Arm is hurt." Alexei replied, nodding to his bleeding arm. 

"We'll take you to the hospital." Murray said. 

"What about the Russian guys? Are we being followed?" Joyce asked frantically. 

"I don't know." Murray answered. 

Joyce glanced out the back window of the car. It didn't look like anyone was following them. 

"What now?" Joyce asked. 

"We'll have to relocate again." Murray said, sighing. 

"I'm sorry." Joyce muttered. 

"At least we got there in time. If it hadn't been for Jim.."
Joyce shuddered at the thought. 

"What do you think they were looking for?" Joyce said.

Murray shrugged his shoulders. 

"Who knows? Now we'll just get Alexei safe to the hospital."

Joyce nodded and closed her eyes. What a night! But the most important thing was that Alexei was safe. His arm didn't look too bad, although she wasn't a doctor. If it hadn't been for Jim and his vision, who knows what they would have done to Alexei? Joyce sent a silent prayer of thankfulness into the universe.