A Blind Date - part 2

Anika had only changed into her clothes for the night when her phone rang. She was surprised to see it was Shivaay calling. She took a few seconds to calm down and picked the phone up, answering with a soft “Hi.”

“Hey. So, I told my brothers about you—”

“Om told you about Gauri?”

Shivaay laughed. “No he didn't. I divulged anyway and Rudra is a professional social media user so he stalked you, I can only hope you don't find it creepy, and turns out, it's your birthday today.”

Anika smiled at his nervousness. “Yes.”

“Why didn't you tell me?” Shivaay almost whined.

“Well, would that have changed anything? We had cake, we had dinner. It was a lovely birthday.”

“Okay fine.” Shivaay sounded grumpy but Anika knew he was smiling. It struck her how she did, because didn't they meet only today?

“You know, wishing you on phone like this is disrespectful. Video call, maybe?” Shivaay might have tried sounding casual but Anika had to laugh at the attempt.

“Would have loved it but I am not looking my best anymore. Wouldn't want to scare you now, would we?”

“I have honestly never felt so eager and look at you, breaking my heart like this.”

Before Anika could reply, her door bell rang. Wondering who it could be at the this time, she walked to her living room, opening the door cautiously. Before the door opened she had a thought and it left her quite excited. Was Shivaay here to actually wish her?

That hope crashed quickly when she saw her boyfriend (now ex from her end) standing at the door with a grin. His eyes were red-rimmed making Anika sigh.

“Hi.” she mumbled, still standing at the doorway.

“Anika! Happy birthday darling.” Daksh mumbled, coming forward to hug her but Anika side-stepped, crossing her arms across her chest, wuite forgetting that her phone was still on call.

“You are drunk.”

“Yes I know. I met this old friend from college. Remember Vikrant? We decided to do a few shots but you know how I am when it comes to alcohol.”

“So you decided to ditch me. On my birthday. For shots with that asshole who always tries hitting on me despite of me being your girlfriend.”

“Oh come on, Vik isn't that bad. He is always joking.”

“What is even wrong with you Daksh? When we began dating, you had clesrly asked all your friends to stay away from me because you knew they are all leeches.”

“Shut up Anika.” Daksh was now almost shouting. “This is exactly why  can't stand you. You want a dinner at some fancy restaurant, I get it but it's like you never listen to me.”

Anika sighed. “Well, congratulations. You are not obligated to do any of this anymore.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“We are now broken up. You can go back home. Or to Viks. I don't care.”

“Oh come on, you can't break up with me so easily. You love me which is why I didn't break up with you and just started dating Shriya.”

“I am sorry, what?”

“Yeah, I fell out of love pretty quickly. You aren't that great anyway. It is jist because I cared about your feelings-”

“that you decided to string me along for no reason? Daksh, you sound sick.” Anika smiled sadly. “And anyway, even I thought I did but clearly, even if it existed, it's all gone. We have bene fighting regularly for almost five months now which is probably when you started two-timing so that my heart doesn't break. I am sure this is not what you want to say to me. Go, sleep that hangover off. We'll talk tomorrow.”