it was always you

"Nini... you can trust me. I mean we've been best friends forever and we've told each other our deepest secrets. What are you holding back?" Ricky ran a hand through his curls. Nini loved it when he did that. It made his hair look better and softer than it already did. She missed the feeling of his soft, light brown locks between her fingers. "I know something is bothering you. I can tell, okay? I know you. Why don't you want to talk about it? You have always talked to me. About everything."

"Sometimes..." Nini sighed. "Sometimes, now, I keep my feelings to myself because it's hard to find someone who understands. I go through a lot and no one can really relate, you know? Even.. even you. I don't know. Maybe I'm just crazy," she sighed again, then took a seat. Nini crossed her legs and propped her elbow up, resting her fingers against her forehead.

"Whoa, whoa, no," Ricky knelt down in front of her and grabbed her wrist gently, pulling her fingers away from her face. The pained expression that painted her face as she looked him in the eye was nothing new. He knew it all too well. "You're not crazy. You know that. I know that. I get what you're saying, okay? I know that you think nobody knows what you're going through or is going through the same thing but that's not true. And even if I don't understand it, tell me anyways. Help me understand it. I want to be able to help you, but I can't do that if you don't tell me what's going on. So tell me, what's going on in that pretty head of yours, huh?" She rolled her eyes and smiled as a few tears streamed down her face. Ricky reached up and wiped them away with his thumb.

"I am... in love with this boy. And I don't know if he feels the same way." Nini began to explain. Ricky nodded, his eyes not leaving hers as he listened attentively. "I think he likes another girl. And I just don't know what to do." She let out a long breath.

"Well, is he in love with his this girl... or does he just like her? Cause, Nini, if he likes her but loves you, there's a big difference. And he shouldn't really be in love with you and like someone else. It's not right." Ricky explained. Nini closed her eyes and laughed. He furrowed his brows. "What?"

"It's you," she mumbled, still laughing a bit. Ricky's confused look only got worse as she opened her eyes and looked him in the face. "You're such an idiot."

"What! I- How- You- That makes no sense!" Ricky threw his hands in the air as he stood up. "How am I an idiot? All I did was give you advice - good advice."

"Because it's you, Ricky!" She was standing now too. "I'm in love with you! And you're off doing whatever it is you're doing with Gina and I don't know what to do or how to feel because I love you. And it's so dumb. We broke up and then I just kept pushing you away and rejecting you and now I'm just realizing all of these feelings never went away and I don't want to ruin things between you and Gina. I want you to be happy but I just can't go on like this anymore and I-" Ricky walked up to her quickly and grabbed her face. He pulled her close to him.

"It's always been you, Nina Salazar-Roberts. It will always be you." He kissed her. And even they'd kissed hundreds of times, this one was different. This one felt like forever.