three knocks

DISCLAIMER: This one shot involves teen pregnancy. Though not clarified in the text, Nini and Ricky are 19 and in their freshman year of college. Thank you!

Three knocks on the front door brought Ricky back to reality. He was sitting across the couch, his laptop and notebook spread across his lap as he struggled to do his homework.

"Coming, just a sec!" Ricky called out, immediately putting his things on the coffee table and getting up off the couch. He opened the door to see the last person he ever expected. About twenty feet away, walking away from the front door, there she was. He recognized her even though she wasn't facing him.

"Nini?"

The girl froze in her tracks. She turned around slowly, her arms crossed in front of her chest. She was far away, but he could tell she had been crying. He began to walk out towards her. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"I-I'm sorry. I shouldn't have come here I just didn't know what to do or – or where to go. And I just-"

"What's wrong?" He reached out and gently touched her arm and began to lead her inside. She plopped down on his couch, something that felt so familiar, despite not being in his home for so long, and he grabbed a throw blanket and wrapped it around her. She just stared at the floor in front of her, not saying a single word. "Nini?"

"I think I might be pregnant." She muttered, barely audible. But he heard it. Shock and anger filled his body all at once, and it took everything he had not to let it out. His hands were in fists, his knuckles white from the tension of how hard he was pushing against his own palms. A softness came upon his hands, and he realized it was Nini gently resting her own on top. She gave his hands a squeeze, and it was like all of the anger was poured out of him.

"Who's is it? Was it consensual? I swear to God, Nini, if someone hurt you I will kill them."

"If I am, it's Connor's." She sighed and took her hands away from his. She propped her elbows up on her legs and rested her head in her palms. Ricky stood up.

"That douchebag? You slept with that douchebag?!"

"I'm such an idiot." Nini sobbed. He sat beside her again, and pulled her into a hug.

"Out of all the people you could have come to, why me? I mean, we haven't talked since junior year, and now when we do you come to me with this huge news." He backed away from her and cupped her cheeks, wiping tears off of her face.

"Because despite everything, you're the only person I know I can trust with this." She looked up at him through her tear-filled eyelashes. He sighed and leaned forward to gently rest a kiss on her forehead before pulling her into a hug again.

"We'll figure it out, Neens. It'll all be okay."