Forgiveness

Nov 11th, 06:34 P.M.

Night fell faster than expected, bringing intense cold and concern for the people of Detroit. Something was coming up. And there was nothing you could do to stop it. But you did your best to try.

With no more expectations, you were just sitting on the couch with your laptop, watching the country fall into chaos. Your brows have been furrowed for a while now, as you scrolled down the conspiracy theory page on your screen and read all the recent news about the deviants. Markus pacifically led a march against the military for the rights of the androids; the TV tower and all of the minor cases of android violence. Even the Youth Party event was reported.

You held your coffee mug tightly.

Damn... Deviancy is everywhere. Markus has been gaining more and more public empathy recently. No wonder why. I'm still grateful that he spared my life that night ... I was so stupid for talking to Ethan. If I hadn't come to see him, he wouldn't have broken into my house...

You remembered what happened between you and him that night.

"Ethan? Are you there?" You knocked his door.

The young man opened the door for you seconds later. He didn't say a thing while staring at the ground.

"So.. What happened?" You asked. "I hope you have a good reason for making me leave my house in the middle of the night."

"I'm sorry." He said. "I-I panicked... I texted you 'cause I knew you'd come."

"Well, here I am." You said. "What's the deal?"

"I'm not feeling well today..."

You looked away at the dining table behind him. There were traces of a red dust on it. And looking back at Ethan you realized that there were those same traces above his cupid's bow too.

"Wait--" You walked towards the table. "You're on Red Ice??  What's your fucking problem?!"

"I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY!" He cried as you smacked him and pushed him in the chest. He sat on the sofa, sobbing. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to use it..."

You stopped. You've never seen Ethan cry like this before. 

"What are you talking about?"

"I had an argument with my mom again," He said. " but it ended differently this time."

You sat next to him with some concern in your face. "How so..?"

"She called me useless... She said you were the only good influence I had in my life, and how grateful she was that my father was dead so he didn't have to see the kind of person I became." He carefully explained. "I raged... and said mean things to her. I didn't mean to...!" He cried. "I didn't mean to..."

"I'm sorry to hear that, Ethan."

"I... I try to stop using Red Ice, but sometimes.. I can't. It's my only way out of this shitty world! I'm so fucked up... Everybody hates me. And now mom hates me too.."

"She doesn't hate you, I'm sure. She'll forgive you sooner or later.." Ethan kept his head down. The young man was broken. And that reminds you of how cruel the world can be, and how Red Ice also broke your father's sanity. You could only pat the young man's back. "Hey, it's okay. It's okay..." You put your right arm around him, and he responded with a strong hug. You couldn't just pull Ethan away. Even if he had been a terrible boyfriend, you still have empathy for him.