23 - Threats and Regrets [ FINALE PT. 1]

The padding tap of my converse shoes was a constant, steady rythm as I walkrd down the walkway of the River Seine.

The pale yellow rays of the rising sun shone down on the side of my face. It gave me warmth on this cold November morning.

This has been my morning routine since I was discharged from the hospital.

And ever since, I haven't spoken with anyone other than Juleka and Rose, who would often come home from school with Jules.

It's been a week. I don't know what to do. I don't know when or if I'm going back to school.

I don't know how anyone is doing, and they most likely don't know how I'm doing.

And how am I doing?

Am I okay? Feeling better? Feeling pain?

Honestly, I have no idea. I feel fine. But every now and again, I would start to feel sick.

Thankfully I've had no acute heart attacks since the first one, but I've been on edge ever since.

I've considered going back to school, multiple times, but I don't know if I'm ready to see Adrien and Marinette yet.

So instead, I walk around the quiet areas of the city, admire the scenery and such.

I passed by a café, hoping to buy a batch of macarons for my sister when I spotted a familiar group of joyful people near the corner of the café.

Panic sparks and I do a full 180° turn back to the door.

"Hey, have you guys heard anything from Luka yet?"

I pause just before I run out.

The group consists of Nathaniel, Alix, Kim, Max, Adrien, and Marinette.

Since when did they all become so close?

"I heard he got out of the hospital a few days ago." Marinette murmured. "I hope he's okay."

My heart lightened and the corners of my lips turned up. I was so tempted to just run up to her and hug her, but that wouldn't be a very good idea with Adrien there.

"It's very thoughtful of you to think about him, Mari." Adrien told her.

"Ehehe, yeah... thanks." Marinette chuckled awkwardly.

I clenched my fists before pressing down the door handle and bolting out.

I huffed and tried to calm myself down by breathing in deeply and lifting my head up to give myself some much needed air.

My neck itched, I had the sudden urge to look back, as if someone was staring at the back of my head.

It took a lot out of me to shrug off the feeling and storm away.

My legs had a mind of their own. I didn't know where I was going, I didn't really need to be anywhere anyway.

As I was walking down the seine, a fluttering noise followed by a distinct chirp caught my attention.

Curiosity sparked in me, causing me to look up and observe. My eyes widened at the sight.

A small blue jay was perched up on a street light.

Pure shock and confusion swirled in my mind as I watched the tiny bird flutter up and away.

Out of pure intrest and curiosity, I felt my feet follow the peculiar little thing. I kept my hand in the pockets of my jacket as I strolled down the street.

The blue jay was the same one from my dream. But that's impossible, I thought.

I tried to ignore my doubts. I froze as the bird turned at a corner, where no people were seen.

A few seconds ticked by before I exhaled and just walked around the corner.

A familiar, brown-haired girl was leaning against the wall, the small blue jay was perched on her finger.

"Camille." I greeted in a surprised tone.

She turned her head and smirked, the bird fluttered off her hand and away, "A little birdie told me you got out of the hospital. Congratulations, must be nice to eat anything other than hospital food."

I shrugged, "I'm not a picky eater. It wasn't that bad." She blinked, "You seem to be pretty picky with who you like though..." she murmured.

I tilted my head, "What do you mean?"

Her gaze darkened, "Oh, nothing." she chuckled. She took a step closer to me, "Let me ask you something, Luka." she said.

"Do you really love Marinette?"

It took me a second to notice she was gripping my wrist, almost strangling it. My spine chilled and I tried to pull away, "Huh-?"

"Don't think I didn't notice. She may be all cute and kind but she doesn't love you back." Camille hissed.

I've never seen her like this before. The dark hatred that clouded her eyes scared me. "She's Adrien's now. You can't have her."

In a haste, I ripped my wrist from Camille's surprisingly strong grip.

"What are you-"

"Don't even try to get close to Marinette or her life will get even worse, Luka!" she growled.

I frowned, "What are you talking about?!" I scoffed.

Camille grinned grimly, "Rumors are already circulating. She's been expelled. Her image can get even worse with the slightest snap of my fingers!"

Horror rippled through my veins, she's insane.

"Are you the one who made Kagami frame Marinette?" I murmured, my anger building up.

Camille frowned, "So Kagami got found out, huh?" she hissed, "Tch, I knew she was incapable."

"You're sick. Why would you do that to her? She's been nothing but kind to you!" I shouted, rage was almost at its peak.

Once again, her sickening eyes sparkle with insanity, "Because, Luka..." she grips my wrists again and presses me against the wall before inching closer to my face, "She's gotten too close to you." she whispers in my ear.

It sends a cold chill down my spine, and I immediately push her away. "You're insane."  I hiss with horror.

Camille laughed, "Tell me something I don't know! I've already given up everything, Luka! I have nothing left to lose!"

I scoffed and turned around without another word, going back the way I came from around the corner.

I froze in place when I made set my sight on two very familiar bluebell eyes.

"Marinette?" I stood still at the corner. Marinette in front of me while Camille was just at the corner. I saw her narrow her eyes from the corner of my sight.

Marinette stopped in front of me, panting. Was she running?

"Luka, you're out of the hospital! Are you feeling better?" she asked.

I was silent for a few seconds before nodding.

"A few of us are hanging out at the café, nearby... let's go there. Adrien and the others have been dying to see you again." she said.

I saw Camille shake her head slowly with a menacing glare.

I recalled her words: "Her image can get even worse with the slightest snap of my fingers!"

"Sorry, I can't. I have to go now, bye." I said almost frantically. Without hearing a response or uttering another word, I turned left and walked away.

I tried to look casual but I'm pretty sure my body was doing the opposite.

I felt a sizzling stare on the back of my neck.

A cold chill jolted up my spine, if I talked to Marinette again, who knows what Camille might do?

A dark feeling crawled underneath my burning skin.

I might have to avoid Marinette as much as possible. Meaning I can't talk to her at all now.