Chapter Three

Roman's POV

Sir-Sing-A-Lot: I know.

Read 1:23 PM

Roman dropped his phone on his bed and sighed. He didn't like faking his confidence around that creepy cookie. Yes it came to him easily but it felt like lying. Not acting. If Roman wasn't so good at acting, he would probably stutter more in person around Virgil than Virgil himself did. 

Roman lay back on his mattress, checking his phone every two minutes. Instead of seeing Virgil's name pop up, he saw his Instagram notifications were in a frenzy. Normally he'd check them but...

He and Virgil used to hang out a lot more often. Across his room, a couple polaroids of the three of them - Roman, Virgil and Logan - hung on the wall. They were all smiling in the photos. He couldn't see the details, but he'd already memorized how they all looked years ago. Logan stared at the camera like he was getting a school photo taken. Roman grinned from ear to ear, giving the other two bunny ears. Virgil had covered his eyes with his hands but his smile was as large as the other two. The eldest photo had a fourth boy named Patton in it, but he'd moved away in middle school. 

Roman looked down at his phone. It appeared Virgil only needed Roman when that nerd was busy. It made sense: Logan was the smart one. Everyone knew that. Roman was the over-dramatic, fanciful one, with the ridiculous ideas and plans that no one wanted. Virgil used to want them, but now he preferred logical plans to fantastical ones. He'd always made that clear.

"Give it back, Roman." Virgil whined. Roman stood outside the safety of the blanket fort, waving Virgil's black hoodie around like a flag. 

"Never, my chemically imbalanced romance. If we are to lead the Green Beast from it's cave, then we must use this magical talisman to attract it."

"Roman," Patton whispered from the corner of the fort, "maybe we should follow Logie's plan." 

"Oh please, he won't come down for cookies and he's been trying to steal Virgil's jacket for weeks." Roman leaned slightly to the right to get a glance at the stairs, but being 2 AM the house was too dark to provide a good view. 

"Come ooon. He can't even see that from upstairs." Virgil jumped when a creak came from the kitchen, while Roman panicked and dashed back into the blanket fort. Patton squeaked and scrambled to Logan's side. Virgil glared at Roman, but it faded when a soft thumping sound came from the right of the blanket wall. Logan crept forward to the entrance of the fort and placed a cookie just outside. A second later a small boy clad in green pajamas lunged for it, and Logan tackled him with a blanket. 

"Heyyy okay okay you win let me out, nerd." Remus struggled out of the blanket and sat scowling in the dark. 

"Yay! We win!" Patton and Virgil grinned at Logan, laughing at Remus' annoyance. 

In the corner, Roman looked down at the hoodie in his hands. He knew it wouldn't work. He was trying to have fun. To make them laugh. To make Virgil laugh. 

Roman sighed at the memory. It was just a game. Everyone else had forgotten about that sleepover long ago, but he remembered it as the night his fantastical ideas became too childish for them. After that, everyone slowly started listening to Logan, and ignored the creative friend. After that, Roman realized that he was no longer as needed. And so he ducked out. 

No one wanted his ideas anyways.

 a/n: Every two or three parts, Roman will have a chapter of his own. I originally wanted to put his POV in first-person for this reason:

In this story, he automatically acts like he's on a stage, and he is controlling the narrative of said stage with how he acts and thinks. 

But I've decided that it would be strange to jump back and forth for the different characters' chapters, so it'll all be in third-person. 

Thanks for reading!