Chapter Five

Virgil stepped out of the bathroom stall, spying the red sneaker guy hovering by the door with someone else. They both turned towards Virgil when he swung the door closed. 

"Oh, hey. You feeling any better?" Virgil stared at his shoes, avoiding eye contact with the guy and his friend. 

"Yeah. Um. here." He took the phone out of his pocket, handing it to him without looking up. "Thanks for letting me use it."

"Thanks for not stealing it." He said with a laugh. "My name's Thomas." Virgil could see in his peripheral that the guy - Thomas - stuck out his hand. Virgil smiled a bit at him and shook his hand. 

"Nice to meet ya." He saluted jokingly, then glanced at Thomas' friend. He was wearing a light blue polo shirt, with a cardigan around his shoulders. His round glasses framed two friendly brown eyes. Patton...?

Thomas looked between the two of them, as the two boys stared at each other. Patton's face was scrunched up in concentration, and then his eyes widened in recognition. 

"Kiddo?" 

Virgil smiled wider than ever and ran over to Pat, engulfing the dad-friend in a hug. 

"Virgil? I missed you so so so much you have no idea. What are you doing here? Where's Logan? And Roman? Is he...are they here too?" Patton gushed, squeezing Virge harder than he formerly believed was possible. "I can't believe you're here."

"I can't believe you're here. How's life, Popstar? I didn't even recognize you at first. I'm sorry." Virgil's eyes were filling with joyful tears. Finally, finally, something good was happening. Maybe this new school wouldn't be all that bad. Maybe all of them could get together again. Hang out, catch up, bake. Virgil closed his eyes and grinned as he held his friend closer. 

"A lot's changed. Like," Patton pulled away from the hug, to Virgil's disappointment, and motioned to a confused Thomas. "This is my brother. And I have an older brother who's not adopted."

Virgil's smiled, remembering how Patton always wanted as sibling. But his smile faded at the last part of Patton's explanation. "Wait...not..adopted? Wh-what do you mean?" Patton smiled sadly at Virgil's question.

"Mark and Valerie died in a car crash 4 years ago. I was adopted along with Thomas a year later." Patton explained. Virgil stared at him. Mark and Valerie, Patton's parents. The ones who taught them all to bake, the ones who helped drive him to school when his mothers were busy, because Virgil didn't want to go on the bus. They were dead?

"I'm so so sorry, Patton." Virgil hugged him again. 

"It's okay, Virgil. It was years ago." Patton pat(ton) Virgil on the head (see what I did there? eh? eh?) and stepped away from him. "How are you, kiddo? Why are you here?"

"M-my mom got a better job offer here. We needed the money, I guess." Virgil stared at his shoes. "And to answer your past question, no. Logan and Roman aren't here." Patton's face fell.

"Oh," Patton quickly grinned again, "well I'm sure glad you're here. I missed you so much." 

"Same here, Pat."

"Um," Thomas shuffled from foot to foot. "If I may intrude," he turned to Patton. "The parental units are wondering where we are." 
Virgil glanced at his watch as Patton nodded. 4:00 o'clock. An hour after school ended. He was supposed to be home 40 minutes ago. 

"Fuck." Virgil mumbled. 

"Language." Patton warned. Both boys glanced at each other and then burst out laughing. 

"I-I have to h-head home, too." Virgil said in between laughs. "I'm late and I bet my moms have called me like twelve times by now." The three headed out of the bathroom and into the halls, all following Virgil to his locker. He grabbed his bag and phone, then they went out to the parking lot and he turned to the brothers. 

"It's great seeing you, Dad." Patton's eyes lit up at the sound of the old nickname. "And thanks, Thomas, for letting me borrow your phone." 

Thomas grinned at him. "No problem, Purp Man." 

Virgil gave them both a quick hug out in the parking lot, Patton's being longer due to the fact that the dad-friend didn't want to let go, and then he turned to the right and walked towards his new house. He couldn't wait to tell Logan, and Roman, about his day.